tpatana

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tero Patana
Just came back home from Canada Kendo Junior Nationals. The actual sports-time was about 7 hours, took about 10700 clicks during that.

R5 (gripped) was a champ though. I was lazy and brought only 1 charger (total 4 batteries). Every 2 hour I swapped both batteries and charged each one for about one hour. Never felt I was close to low power.

Just started culling, will be long night.

HX9A4141.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF85mm F1.2 L USM DS
  • 85.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.2
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1600

Great shot and good luck with the culling! :)

Noticed interesting feature from R5. During event I tagged some good captures with 3* rating. I was wondering why the tags are not showing on my culling. Reason is that as I was recording to both cards, it tagged only on one card. As I copied the pics to PC from the other card, I don't see the tags.

Someone should tell Canon that in case of recording to both cards, the rating tags should be saved on both cards too.

Now done culling/editing for matches (only ceremonies & other easy stuff left).

I just figured out that the AF accuracy is considerably better even compared to 1DX. My ~10 years of shooting this sports have had bodies 7D / 5D3 / 5D4 / 1DX and now R5. Each of those always had better AF than the earlier one, but it's amazing that R5 can improve over 1DX which is already stellar. There was really only few pics that mis-focused. 1DX was great too but there was mis-focused occasionally as the sports has lot of moving parts and there's lot of interesting contrast in the background so 1DX sometimes likes to jump there. But R5 was sticking on the players really well.

I'm impressed.

Currently 1DX is the back-up / assistant camera but I really need to consider another RF body at some point. R7 and R10 were bit short on the spec list so it'll probably come down to comparing price vs. performance between R6, R5, R3 or R1. Next summer is US nationals so good chance I'll upgrade before that, or latest before the worlds in 2024.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back