gudgoin

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jon
I'm just having the opportunity to post since joining the forum in mid February. It looks like the group has grown considerably since my first visit and that is encouraging to see the number of R series fans!

I was a Nikon and Leica film shooter in the 20th century and still have an arsenal of both systems, both RF and SLR. My first Canon was an Elph, in 1996, but my real adoption of Canon was in the DSLR era, beginning at the dawn of the 21st century, with a D30. I never looked back and have shot Canon DSLR and Powershot for the last 20 years. That shift was not at all just an admiration for Canon's technological advantage over its competitors; it had a lot to do with the fact that I had worked for Canon most of those 20 years. Even during the 5 years at RED, getting a new cinema company started, I always had a Canon in my hand. Little did I know in 2006 that Canon would soon become a competitor to RED. The 5DII was a shot across the bow of Scarlet and things were never the same. I rejoined Canon in 2011 and was National Manager of Technical Support for Cinema EOS and Pro Still until my retirement in 2019. After leaving Canon I had the luxury of buying any camera on the market, no longer obliged to carry the company flag. I chose a Canon R as my first retail purchase in 50 years and have enjoyed using it as a clean up utility player, enlisting it for a variety of duties, digitzing film, webcam, and family still and video recording. Being a veteran of viewing through an OVF for half a century, I'm not ready to give up my 1DXII and 5DIV just yet, but have pretty much decided to relegate the R to backup and special use (it does make a great webcam) and get an R5 for my day to day. Knowing Canon's roadmap and current market situation, I am certain that Canon R&D dollars going forward will be prioritized to mirrorless and seeing revolutionary advance in reflex, in the future, is unlikely. It's a shame, as I would love to see R5 tech in a DSLR, but the world keeps turning and change is the only constant.

Looking forward to being a member and keeping the Canon culture flowing through my veins.

Welcome Jon and thanks for coming back to take a second look and introducing yourself. It sounds like you have had a very fascinating and rewarding career! Yes luckily the forum is starting to take off thanks to all the fantastic members who have joined up and posted so far. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going forwards now. Happy Easter!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back