Hello from Suffolk,UK

andy66

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Andy Hawkins
Yet another DPR refugee here, although I mostly just read other peoples posts there.

I came to Canon via Nikon, having had a D70 and then a D300. The latter was too complicated for me and I never did master it in manual mode (all those settings!). I replaced it with one of the first EOS M cameras (it was that camera that opened my eyes to "canon colour") and eventually an EOS 70D. Unfortunately I dropped the 70D in the bottom of a boat in New Zealand - the damage wasn't evident until I tried to update the firmware and it bricked itself... I replaced it with an EOS 80D and this is when things unravelled a bit for me as by then had a collection of lenses and any trip out with the camera became a trial of packing and lugging the lenses I thought I would use and didn't in the event. I had a short time with an EOS M5 specifically for travel (NZ again) which made the lens issue worse!. I finally decided to sell almost everything and converted to full frame a couple of years ago with an EOS R, 24-105 STM and kept just two of the old lenses (nifty-50 and 70-300 USM). I've yet to use the R for an NZ trip but my aim nowadays is to limit myself to what I can do with the R and the 24-105 as there's a lot of room there for me to learn and improve. I do shoot manual and Raw mode, really only landscapes and abstracts.

That I'm still learning (I'm retired btw) is evident by the fact that I framed one of my landscapes from the last NZ trip and realised that it was a cellphone shot and better than I had achieved with the M5... oops..

Andy

Welcome Andy and thanks for joining up here and introducing yourself. Hopefully it's not too quiet around here for you after DPReview! It's far too easy to get carried away with GAS sometimes and before you know it you have more lenses than you know what to do with! Limiting yourself to just 3 lenses sounds like a wise move! Just let me know if you have any questions about the forum here.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back