Bayleaf

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Les Simmons
Been a member of the forum for a couple of weeks but not got around to introducing myself which my Mother would have said was extremely rude so huge appologies.
I've had an on/ off relationship with photography for around forty years with the last few being more a love/ hate one. You know the thing "do I continue or give up completely" sort of thoughts.
After a rubbish summer, Christmas 2022 saw me having to make changes I hadn't expected & photography helped for a few months until work invaded again. So I'm giving up work at Christmas & next summer the dog & I are going to try & explore our fabulous countryside so I will probably be seeking lots of advice before then for which I thank you in advance.
Just got an R7 only weeks before going on Safari & still not used it in anger. Bought it after seeing the benefits of EVF on an Olympus which means no more constantly fiddling with glasses to view my shots. The comments on here & videos on you tube aren't what I'd hoped for (along with my initial feelings) so it may not make the cut when it comes to packing. Only 15Kg weight limit inc hand luggage & the need to take my own sleeping bag. I always said clothes were overated.:)

Welcome Les and thanks for joining up here and saying hello to us all :) Hopefully you'll get the hang of the R7 before your safari. Which lens are you pairing it with?

Welcome Les and thanks for joining up here and saying hello to us all :) Hopefully you'll get the hang of the R7 before your safari. Which lens are you pairing it with?
Hi Tim, For the safari I'm just using either the EF-S 18-135 or the kit lens RF 18-150 if my order arrives on time. It's just as a back up to an Olympus EM1 MK111 on this occassion.
Initially I was just going with my two DSLRs (550D & 800D) along with the 18-135 & a Sigma 120-400 with maybe a 10-20 for some night skies but then I bought the Olympus & got used to the EVF which meant no more fiddling with glasses to view shots plus the Olympus offers so much in a single package. Went for the R7 as I already have Canon gear but thinking maybe I should have gone for OM5 which would have saved me a good £400+ & I would have all I needed in a much smaller package for travelling & all the same system.
Ah well what is done is done. I won't get time to do anything but read the manual before I fly out but I'll have nearly three weeks to play around with it & decide whether it replaces one of my DSLRs or whether it gets traded in. My usual genre is mainly landscapes so using it with the shorter lens will help me in deciding it's future. The extra megapixels might help with the landscapes too although I didn't even realise it was 30+ MP when I got it! I don't normally listen to the hype & was more than happy with the 550 & 800.
I think I must have had a (almost) senior moment.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back