Birds How many do you see? Posted purely for fun -the last photo is called "male pattern baldness"... The old guys here like me will get the joke.

Bert-63

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Bob
City/State
Whidbey Island, WA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sorry about the poor quality... I blame myself. I have some nicer one but they weren't taken with an RF so...

8E7A3627 - DxO Full Size Edit.jpg

8E7A3615 DxO Final Radiant.jpg

8E7A6212 - DxO Full Size Edit Final Radiant.jpg

I've never seen that many GBH's in one place; in fact, I've never even seen two together.
There is a Blue Heron Nesting Area in Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Ohio, and in the spring there are plenty in the nests. But I've never seen more than two together on the ground before. Great captures!

I've never seen that many GBH's in one place; in fact, I've never even seen two together.
There are many places where you can see large gatherings of Great Blues together here in Washington. I don't know what a gathering of Great Blues is called - any help with that would be appreciated. I've seen so many together that they are impossible to accurately count but I'd say the total would be around 200 + or -.. I'll be on the hunt for them this summer and into the fall to see what I can find. They biggest resting place I've seen is in a place where there is no place to pull off unless you're willing to walk a couple of miles.. The Island where I live is beautiful as is all the surrounding area but the roads aren't very forgiving.

These photos have an interesting story behind them - short version - the photo with the large number in the air was caused by a passing idiot that saw we were trying to take photos so they honked their horn and the birds took flight. Luckily for us, they turned right around and flew right back to the spot where they had previously gathered. The pictures are of a lesser quality because we were rushing to get some kind of photo before they took off.

What a great find Bob. I found this on Wikipedia " These groups are called a heronry (a more specific term than "rookery"). The size of these colonies may be large, ranging between five and 500 nests per colony, with an average around 160 nests per colony." So, take that info for what it is worth! Bet you will be going back there a time or two.

What a great find Bob. I found this on Wikipedia " These groups are called a heronry (a more specific term than "rookery"). The size of these colonies may be large, ranging between five and 500 nests per colony, with an average around 160 nests per colony." So, take that info for what it is worth! Bet you will be going back there a time or two.

Just went down there yesterday as a matter of fact - got down there super early before all the idiots started blowing up the world with fireworks - and there wasn't a single bird in sight. We were going to ride over to 'refinery road' as we call it to see the happenings over there but it was so dang hot yesterday we went home and opened up the house..

Where we live no one has air conditioning because it never gets hot enough to need it. As the years start to add up I wonder if we shouldn't have one installed lolol.. It may only be a couple of days a year but man I hate the heat.. HA!

Thanks a million for the information. I screen-shotted the page and added it to my Heron folder so I wouldn't forget. Getting old sucks. Good thing you only have to do it once.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back