Full Frame If you use the RF lens custom ring, how do you use it?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

BasilFawlty

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ψ
Just curious whether folks here use the RF lens custom ring (I'll confess I don't at resent by may try it). If you do use the RF lens ring, how do you have it programmed? Is it different for different lenses you have?

Aperature. Seemed logical to me for a ring on the lens. Unusable on the RF 100-500. Incredibly poor inaccessible position.
I've heard that from a lot of people. What were they thinking? Maybe they will eventually come out with a Mark II version and fix that.

Exposure Compensation. I admit that I rarely use it because of location on my RF 100 - 500.

Luckily it is well placed on the 100-400mm and 600mm F11 and so easy to just rapidly get exposure right for things like birds going from dark to back lit when they take off and so on. I think it's mainly a bird photography or something small relative to the background thing where it really comes into its own.

Luckily it is well placed on the 100-400mm and 600mm F11 and so easy to just rapidly get exposure right for things like birds going from dark to back lit when they take off and so on. I think it's mainly a bird photography or something small relative to the background thing where it really comes into its own.
So then you set it to exposure compensation?

I don't really like and it is awkward on the 100-500. The only reason I have it mapped is because the R6II has two QC dials and the R7 has only one. I shoot in M mode and Auto ISOI on both bodies. I try and keep both boxes as consistent as I can.

R6II dials. Main is for shutter speed, QC1 is for EC and QC2 is for aperture.

R7 dials. Same as the R6II except it has no QC2 so I mapped aperture to the lens ring. The only good thing is I don't change the aperture very often on the R7.

I have to say I do prefer the QC1 location on the R7. I didn't at first but I find it is in a more natural position for me.

Just curious whether folks here use the RF lens custom ring (I'll confess I don't at resent by may try it). If you do use the RF lens ring, how do you have it programmed? Is it different for different lenses you have?
I use it with all lenses for exposure compensation on the R7. As noted elsewhere, the placement of the RF 100-500 control ring renders it difficult to use.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali
Back