View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

melkiades

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Alain
Hi all,

I'm new here. I read the rules but might have missed something.
If I can't post this in here please let me know and I'll delete the post.

I managed to get my hands on a Canon R7 in Canada a few days before my departure for Europe.
It turns out that although I'm using a Canon EF adaptor on the R7, and the lense fits perfectly, it won't work.

Have you ever seen an issue like this? More details:

- I can only snap a picture once, after which the camera is inoperable
- The only way out is to remove the battery and put it back in
- No picture is taken although there was a click
- From the Q Menu, the focal length box is empty: there's no value, no symbol
- If I try to select it, the entire camera freezes: that screen is stuck there and even turning the camera off doesn't shut off the screen

That lense is not defective as it works on a Canon 7D.
The EF adaptor is not defective as I tried 7D lenses on it and the R7 was able to take pictures without problem.

I also tried updating the R7 firmware but none is out yet.

Could it be that this lense with the R7 requires settings to be changed on the camera?

Also, I saw someone complaining on YouTube that this lense on the R7 drains the battery abnormally fast.

Thank you for your input!
Melkiades

Did you set the R7 to allow shutter release without lens? If no, no manual focus lens, microscope, telescope will work. This is the same with all RF bodies, not just the R7.

Hi dougsmit, I forgot to mention it but yes, I did set the camera to allow shutter release without lens.
The store where I bought it also tried another R7 and Irix they had in stock and came to the same conclusion: that lens is not compatible (yet) with the R7. Irix has been quite slow to respond. They replied 48h after my email that they would get back to me. It's been another two days now, no replies. Maybe they're in contact with Canon to get this added to the first firmware release.

Thank you for the clarification. I am always confused by statements like "won't work" because we never know what the poster really means and there are a lot of people who might take a manual lens and say it is broken because it doesn't autofocus or release shutter (why I asked the question about the 'without lens' setting. I still have no idea from your post what it is that the Irix doesn't do when you press the release. Does it not focus to infinity, cover the frame, engage focus aids? I am confused how a lens without contacts is different from other lenses without contacts so one would work and the other not. I have a pile of old lenses that I know worked fine with the RP but the only one I tried on the R7 so far is a 16mm Zenitar which worked as expected. I was considering the Irix before these posts suggested it was not a good idea. For the time being, I will use by 100 macro and zooms over that length on extension tubes for macro. I remain curious on the question of how it behaves badly.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back