Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
I shoot primarily wildlife and have been tag teaming an R5 with 100-500mm and an R7 with 100-400mm using the R5 primarily for stills and the R7 for video. While the 100-400mm is light enough that it doesn't stress the lens mount with the camera mounted to the tripod, the balance is really bad and it can be difficult do subtle adjustments on the fly. So I decided to give the iShoot collar a shot.

After getting an empty Amazon shipping envelope the first time I finally got the collar Sunday.

First impressions, two major negatives, one expected one not:
  1. The collar does not rotate because of the controls (expected)
  2. The lens must be removed for the collar to be put on/taken off (unexpected)
I've bought aftermarket collars for non-collared lenses back in my Nikon days (like for the 70-200mm f4) and they all could be added and removed without removing the lens. That this one cannot is something I should have anticipated if I looked hard at the images, but that it's not means that either I need to remove the lens in the field to add it, or I need to shoot handheld with it on and it's very much in the way. My issue with having to take the lens off is that wildlife shooting isn't always in the most docile of conditions - wind blowing, pollen, dust, and sand flying - the idea of opening up both the lens and body to those things is troubling.

So that's the major thing. One minor hiccup is that the placement and length of the foot only really balances when the lens is fully extended to 400mm. Again, given the weight of the body and lens this could have been anticipated and if it remains problematic I can actually go to a solution I had tried before buying the collar and use a longer rail extended back towards the body to allow me to reposition the camera on the mount. This requires removing the nuts on the bottom of the arca mount but that's expected. In one of the Amazon photos it shows the foot at almost equal level with a gripped R5/6, but I don't have that option with the R7, so when placed on a table/seat it's balancing on the heal of the foot and the back edge of the camera, and there's really no good way to set the camera down without it being wobbly.

The other minor hiccup is the switch access. The lock switch is not nearly inaccessible with anything but small fingers as the collar is close to the camera grib and I can actually imagine some folks getting blisters from fingers rubbing on the collar if you have sausage fingers like me. On the other side, with the collar pressed all the way forward it seems like the forward edge of the switches are covered slightly while the back edge is clearly visible making the switches slightly harder to access when they are in the AF and ON positions, but they are still accessible.

Otherwise? It does what it's supposed to and is the only current option I can find that solves the pseudo-balancing of this lens on a tripod with an R7. For that reason I'm likely going to keep it, but it's a 2/5 product for me at this point. If they hinged it at the top so I could add/remove it with the lens attached to the camera it would be a 4. The rest could be fixed, but I don't know whether it's worth their time for the limited market? I hope so.

Attachments

• IMG_5671.JPG
    IMG_5671.JPG
    657 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5672.JPG
    IMG_5672.JPG
    614.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5673.JPG
    IMG_5673.JPG
    686.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5677.JPG
    IMG_5677.JPG
    735.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
[...]So that's the major thing. One minor hiccup is that the placement and length of the foot only really balances when the lens is fully extended to 400mm. Again, given the weight of the body and lens this could have been anticipated and if it remains problematic I can actually go to a solution I had tried before buying the collar and use a longer rail extended back towards the body to allow me to reposition the camera on the mount. This requires removing the nuts on the bottom of the arca mount but that's expected. In one of the Amazon photos it shows the foot at almost equal level with a gripped R5/6, but I don't have that option with the R7, so when placed on a table/seat it's balancing on the heal of the foot and the back edge of the camera, and there's really no good way to set the camera down without it being wobbly. [...]
If the foot works like the one on their RF100L collar, you can reverse it by undoing the bolts, flipping the plate around and redoing the bolts. This makes it balance a lot better on my R8:
Scherm­afbeelding 2023-05-26 om 11.44.00.jpg

If the foot works like the one on their RF100L collar, you can reverse it by undoing the bolts, flipping the plate around and redoing the bolts. This makes it balance a lot better on my R8:
Nope. The color actually goes over top of the switches - there is no room for it between the switch and zoom ring.

Nope. The color actually goes over top of the switches - there is no room for it between the switch and zoom ring.
I was a bit unclear, sorry. I meant removing the bottom plate from the collar and rotating it 180 degrees, not flipping the collar around. The RF100L collar is tapered, so it can’t be reversed either :)

The default orientation:

IMG_3630.jpeg

After reversing the plate:
IMG_3631.jpeg

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back