Landscape Images

Myles Baker

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Myles Baker
I've always struggled with landscape images, particularly composition. Occasionally I get one I really like.
I'd like some critique of the attached image, starting with the composition and also the editing. Note: I do not have a calibrated monitor & tend to edit so that it looks good on a smartphone screen, which is how I normally share my photos and I have a tendency to over-saturate (personal preference).
I've attached the unedited raw file, my initial edit (jpeg) using Adobe Camera Raw & an additional edit where I have used Photoshop's oil-painting filter. I plan to print the oil-painting version on textured paper, because I really like the look of this as an oil-painting. The edited jpeg is much closer to how I saw the scene than the unedited raw.
The photo itself was taken with the Canon RP & the RF24-105 f4, handheld (I was traveling without a tripod) at f4, 1/320 of a second & ISO 100 at a focal length of 42mm, auto white balance, camera faithful. Because I was handholding, I used a faster shutter speed & wider aperture than I would have if using a tripod & I zoomed in to cut out a road to the left. The image itself is uncropped.
Any critique, positive, negative or anywhere in between is welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_6114.JPG
    IMG_6114.JPG
    630.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6114.jpeg
    IMG_6114.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • Arashiyama - Japan.jpg
    Arashiyama - Japan.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
I think you have done a nice job here overall, for me the second shot has a bit more vibrance than I prefer but that's just me. I think the filter effect in the 3rd image is going in a nice direction but if it was me, I would lower the opacity of the filter if that is possible; the texture is a bit overwhelming to my eye.

I agree with Chris’ view - a nice job overall, but the second is a little oversaturated for my taste and the texture effect too severe.

I think you have done a nice job here overall, for me the second shot has a bit more vibrance than I prefer but that's just me. I think the filter effect in the 3rd image is going in a nice direction but if it was me, I would lower the opacity of the filter if that is possible; the texture is a bit overwhelming to my eye.
Thanks for the feedback. I do get a bit heavyhanded on vibrance / saturation. The texture on the 3rd one is intentional because I want an oil painting look when printed and less texture can leave it looking a bit flat. That is very much a work in progress. I am doing a few test prints and will adjust as needed before getting a large print made.

I agree with Chris’ view - a nice job overall, but the second is a little oversaturated for my taste and the texture effect too severe.
Thanks for the feed-back. Appreciated.

With regards to the 3rd mimicking Oil Painting: Painters never have that much control over their brush to achieve a perfect repeated pattern...mistakes happen.

Rather than using that particular filter have you ever tried adding a layer of texture? I tried it once as an experiment and it wasn't "too bad". I did an Internet search for Painted Texture, or something similar. I am totally disorganized with my photo experiments.

With regards to the 3rd mimicking Oil Painting: Painters never have that much control over their brush to achieve a perfect repeated pattern...mistakes happen.

Rather than using that particular filter have you ever tried adding a layer of texture? I tried it once as an experiment and it wasn't "too bad". I did an Internet search for Painted Texture, or something similar. I am totally disorganized with my photo experiments.
Thanks for the suggestion Dean, I'll give that a try.

I just threw this together from this iStock photo

First was to change the texture to B&W then opacity set to 35%.

DEAN6073 copy-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 800

Hi Myles, I think it’s an interesting scene, but for me I see most of that interest in the middle of the frame and would crop out some of the top, and the bottom to focus the viewer there.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back