Followers
Following
Name
David Stallard
City/State
Essex, UK
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Okay - I don't usually mess about too much in post, being of the 'it was there so leave it' gang.

HOWEVER

Just thought I would give the new Light Room AI tool a try and have to admit that it is scarily good. couple of examples for you, first tiger with post in the enclosure, then removed, then my finished crop NOTE: through some very grubby viewing glass.
Colchester Zoo 25-05-24 0034.jpg
  • Canon EOS R3
  • RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 140.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200
Colchester Zoo 25-05-24 0032.jpg
  • Canon EOS R3
  • 140.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200
Colchester Zoo 25-05-24 0033.jpg
  • Canon EOS R3
  • 140.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200

Second one, the Amur Leopard that had a few long blades of grass across the body - normally I wouldn't bother but as I mentioned, wanted to try the tool out. Again through a glass viewing window so not perfectly sharp.
Colchester Zoo 25-05-24 0110.jpg
  • Canon EOS R3
  • 237.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1000
Colchester Zoo 25-05-24 0108.jpg
  • Canon EOS R3
  • 237.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1000
Colchester Zoo 25-05-24 0109.jpg
  • Canon EOS R3
  • 237.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1000

How many times did you need to use the tool to replace the post? I use Luminar Neo, and I would have had to slowly replace the post with multiple small selections. Also, Neo's generative AI is okay for simple scenes, but the results for complex replacements are generally terrible. I don't use it much, and I also don't like the concept.

Hey Steven, just the one pass - made the 'selection' tool a tiny bit larger than the post and done in about 10 seconds. My wife uses / loves Neo, even she was impressed.

I've used the Adobe generative fill since available in PS Beta. It was good then and it has got even better and now in LR Classic. Removing annoying objects these days most times is so easy with really good results.

I've reverted to using PS's remove tool over LRC. LRC failed in a couple of situations removing and exit sign and a light fixture at the top edge of a photo. Photoshop did just fine on the exported jpeg.

How many times did you need to use the tool to replace the post? I use Luminar Neo, and I would have had to slowly replace the post with multiple small selections. Also, Neo's generative AI is okay for simple scenes, but the results for complex replacements are generally terrible. I don't use it much, and I also don't like the concept.
I used to be a dedicated Neo user. I now use it sparingly as a plug in to LrC. I think Neo is ok for some stuff, but the generative AI is terrible.

I used the generative remove ai tool extensively this past weekend with a downtown photo shoot and the results are pretty impressive. A few scenes needed a few different generations or mask alterations, but generally very good results. I foresee this being developed into generative skin retouching. There’s already plenty of adaptive presents for skin retouching, but I think Adobe could put all the plug ins for it out of business with their AI tools if they bake the ability into the standard software.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back