Memory Card Fail

I have had only one memory card failure, and it was just last year with a Lexar uhs-ii card. The failure was that the plastic body split open. The card still worked but I was afraid to continue inserting it into my camera. The little thin strips of plastic between the contacts might have damaged something in the body. Didn't want to risk trying to super glue it etc.

But as far as a read/write issue, the only issue I ever had was in the late 1990's/early 2000's when a Hitachi Micro-drive started making strange noises and getting hotter than normal to the touch and read/write speeds slowed down...but it was as slow as cold molasses on a flat plate anyway, but I didn't know that at the time.

I have not had any issues with cards at all. This is from using Canon 7D, 7D mk ii, R5,R6, 1DX mkiii and R5. I have shot approximately 300,000 images between these cameras in the last 3 years.

The only issue I had was with a card that wasn't fully compatible with a specific camera. But I've never had a card failure.

I’ve had two fail. One happened after I did a format to begin a session with a clear card. It wouldn’t write to it after the format. The other shows no data on the camera but says it is full. I have it in a ziplock bag waiting for me to check on it. Maybe today

I've only ever had one card fail, and that was a "high-capcity" (for the time!) 2Gb CF card. It wasn't a solid-state drive; rather, it was a tiny hard drive in a CF case. It lasted about a month before dying. It was replaced under warranty, but the replacement failed after a few months. I eventually got my money back and used it to buy several lower-capacity solid-state cards. Never had a failure of one of those, touch wood...

My ex wife is a pro shooter but between us we have only had one card fail - a Sandisk since going digital with Canon 10D's then 1D II and 1DsII onwards through 5D's to R5. Most of the images were recovered.

It was a decent spec card at the time but a while back.

She uses Delkin or Integral cards now. I just have 2 64 GB Integral and a Sony CFexpress. Since the Sandisk failed I have avoided them. I have had issues with the make in other minor stuff like dash cams and cba to use them any more.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back