Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dan Umberger
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I bought my R7 in January, and thought I'd share my experiences. I had been using (and still use) a 7D II, and have 7 lenses and a tele-extender. 5 of the lenses are Tamron or Sigma. With the R7 I also bought Canon's EF to RF adapter with dial. What I found was that the adapter worked with all my lenses except for my Sigma 150 -500. There was a dimensional tolerance issue there - the Canon adapter wouldn't click into place - the fit was too tight. Since it was inexpensive, I ordered a Meike EF to RF adapter, and it worked fine with the Sigma lens. I pretty much keep the Meike on the Sigma all the time. Problem solved. I guess I wish I'd bought the Meike first, but I do like the dial feature. So, if you have a lens that won't physically fit the Canon adapter, this may be a solution for you.

I bought my R7 in January, and thought I'd share my experiences. I had been using (and still use) a 7D II, and have 7 lenses and a tele-extender. 5 of the lenses are Tamron or Sigma. With the R7 I also bought Canon's EF to RF adapter with dial. What I found was that the adapter worked with all my lenses except for my Sigma 150 -500. There was a dimensional tolerance issue there - the Canon adapter wouldn't click into place - the fit was too tight. Since it was inexpensive, I ordered a Meike EF to RF adapter, and it worked fine with the Sigma lens. I pretty much keep the Meike on the Sigma all the time. Problem solved. I guess I wish I'd bought the Meike first, but I do like the dial feature. So, if you have a lens that won't physically fit the Canon adapter, this may be a solution for you.
Hi Dan, I have the R5 with the Canon RF/EF converter, (no dial). I also have the Sigma 150-500mm lens. It doesn't have any issues with the Canon converter. Maybe the converter with the dial is the problem.

I love the control ring adapter - which I assume is what you're referring to. As a nearly forty year user of a Canon FT 35mm film SLR, I really regretted losing the aperture control ring on the lenses when I went to DSLRs in 2006, and rejoiced when I saw that I could program that ring to be an aperture ring on RF lenses. That adapter gives me the same capability for my EF and EF-S lenses. I've ended up getting one for each of my old lenses rather than swapping it back and forth.

I have one each on my old EF-S 18-135mm nano-USM (which also has the power zoom adapter attached - it's my movie zoom), my EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM and my EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM.

My R7's IBIS makes those old non-stabilized EF L lenses a bargain, particularly the 200, which with a used Canon EF 1.4.converter gives me an f/4 280mm birding lens for under a grand - adapter and extender included. I'm successfully hand-holding those lenses not just at 1/focal length but at 1/half the focal length!

I had been seduced by the sharpness of prime lenses until I spent an evening shooting pix of a choral concert, changing lenses every minute or two. Bought the 24-70 f/2.8L and sold my RF 24M1.8 and RF 35M1.8 on ebay!

Last edited:
Replaced my Canon EF-S 10-18mm with the Tokina EF AT-X 11-20mm f/2.8 CF ("crop format") with its own control ring adapter. Also got one for an old Canon EF 50mm f/1.4.

I can usually find the control ring adapter on eBay for less than than list, though that varies over time.

PS The EF 50 f/1.4 is beautiful dinosaur - an old FD lens with the same optics repackaged with EF automation!

The Tokina is not the current model - I chose it because my RAW editing program of choice, DxO Photo Lab, doesn't yet have an autocorrection module for the atx-i version. Was planning on getting the RF 10-18mm but the chance to get an f/2.8 11-20mm was too good to pass up. Got it refurbished from a NY camera dealer on eBay for less than the RF 10-18 would cost.

Last edited:

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back