• ISO 1000
EA2A0386 copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6m2
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 428.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 2500

Nice work! Looks like you went from the raptor show to a drag show!

Awesome! Looking forward more!

Thanks for the feedback, is there anything i could do or could have done to make them better?

I think the bird captures are excellent. The barn owl shots are particularly impressive. It's hard to keep a bird that's flying towards you in focus, or at least it was before eye detect came along. The only criticism I'd make is that the backgrounds are a little distracting. You used large apertures on most of them, so you got most of the bokeh the conditions would allow. The only other way to make them less distracting would be in the processing.

I think the bird captures are excellent. The barn owl shots are particularly impressive. It's hard to keep a bird that's flying towards you in focus, or at least it was before eye detect came along. The only criticism I'd make is that the backgrounds are a little distracting. You used large apertures on most of them, so you got most of the bokeh the conditions would allow. The only other way to make them less distracting would be in the processing.
I agree that they're great images. If only the wild ones would cooperate so nicely!

Re the backgrounds: If you're a Lightroom Classic user, Adobe have made it pretty easy to select the subject or background via the relatively new masking tools in the Develop module. I'd suggest creating a background mask and then darkening the background so the raptors pop more.

I do that with flowers, birds and so on, and the auto selections make it very easy. They can be adjusted with brushes if needed.

I agree that they're great images. If only the wild ones would cooperate so nicely!

Re the backgrounds: If you're a Lightroom Classic user, Adobe have made it pretty easy to select the subject or background via the relatively new masking tools in the Develop module. I'd suggest creating a background mask and then darkening the background so the raptors pop more.

I do that with flowers, birds and so on, and the auto selections make it very easy. They can be adjusted with brushes if needed.
+1

And if you adopt the (excellent) masking tip as a regular editing task, consider creating an 'Adaptive Masking Preset' - basically open a suitable image, create a 'subject' mask (e.g. a slight pop of adjustments) then a background mask (e.g. slight blur/ darken), and finally create a new User Preset but only save the masking elements. You can then pick this Preset to very quickly apply these 'separation' adjustments to any similar image - the masks can always be tweaked further if needed.

(I would also recommend you enable the 'Support Amount Slider' setting).

Phil

Example Custom 'Subject Separation' Preset -

RF-SE-1-5.jpg

Last edited:
I personally don't use Lightroom (any flavor), but the software I use - On1 - also makes masking very easy. I use the AI masks to separate the subject from the background quite a lot. On1 offers two purchase options, either outright with updates for a year, or subscription. I chose the former. I hate subscriptions.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back