Need to choose a flash for my r6

Andrewdjacobson

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Andrew
I’m open to anything but I’m leaning toward one of the round speedlights. I’d like the Profoto a10 although the price seems outrageous I’m leaning to the westcott fj80 or maybe the godox V1. My main concern is the build quality. I know they will all operate very similar. Does any have experience with any of these? I have watched some reviews of the godox, there seems to be concern over the hotshot attachment being weak. Have not seen much about the fj80. I have adopted a buy once cry once attitude as I get older, but $1000 for something that may only get used occasionally (maybe a lot at some point) seems a little pricey.

I’m open to anything but I’m leaning toward one of the round speedlights. I’d like the Profoto a10 although the price seems outrageous I’m leaning to the westcott fj80 or maybe the godox V1. My main concern is the build quality. I know they will all operate very similar. Does any have experience with any of these? I have watched some reviews of the godox, there seems to be concern over the hotshot attachment being weak. Have not seen much about the fj80. I have adopted a buy once cry once attitude as I get older, but $1000 for something that may only get used occasionally (maybe a lot at some point) seems a little pricey.
If you are considering a flash, regardless of the shape, I would consider that the best uses are often, maybe more often, off-camera. With that in mind, getting into a flash family/brand that you see as a good growth path when the flash photography bug finally takes a bite. ;) This means that you should consider a radio trigger that will allow you to actuate the flash off-camera. You may eventually see a need for other flashes. Purchasing within a family/brand can make the integration and control of one or many flashes more easily accomplished. I rarely used a flash. Once I got the opportunity to use them off-camera, I was hooked. So many situations lend themselves to the addition of flash/strobe to either control or augment natural light enhancing the final image. I chose to go the Godox route and am satisfied with the functionality, interoperability, and cost (my first concern). I'm no longer a professional photographer (most of my work was air to air) and I came to the flash game just within the last two years. There are many considerations and spending the time determining the balance of cost vs. durability vs. performance vs. other considerations that may be determined by your intended use. I have a mix of Godox and Adorama Flash Point house brand (manufactured for Adorama by Godox) and to date, the triggers and flashes have worked well together.

I have a friend who bought into the Wescot line and is incredibly happy with their performance. The ProPhoto and other top-of-the-line and much more expensive brands are also quite good, but some have proprietary accessories for softboxes and other modifiers. The Godox/Flashpoint brands work well with the Boens mount family of modifiers and there is a slew of products that will be compatible when selecting light modifiers.

A long way to get to this point but I guess my suggestion is to look into a family/brand where you and expand as necessary and obtain interoperability. They all have round "speed light style" flashes.

JMHO :cool:

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I’m even thinking about it right now is that I’m going to shoot my dads 85th b-day party and put an album together as a gift. Quite frankly I haven’t seen the room and I may not even need it being that it will be a day time affair, I just want to be prepared.
I may get into some product photography and some real estate/architectural stuff to try to make some side cash or maybe even a full time gig at some point.
For now I’m probably going to try the westcott line, and if I ever get to the point that I’m making money I can always upgrade if necessary.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back