Doug B

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Doug Bottrell
Just purchased an "as new" Canon EF 100mm Macro L series lens to go on my R5. Only ever taken bird pics before.
Went into the garden and took a few shots and soon learnt that having the camera set to single shot does not yield many sharp images due to the very narrow DoF at such close proximity to the subject. High speed continuous raised my keeper rate a treat. Any constructive critique is most welcome. The close up of the spider was to see how far you can crop in. It was found in the kitchen, but a small LED torch dropped the ISO from 12,800 to 100 and gave a satisfactory shutter speed at f4.
I might be hooked on the hidden world of insects and spiders....

Attachments

• Honey Bee (worker).jpg
    Honey Bee (worker).jpg
    160 KB · Views: 45
  • Honey Bee (worker) 2.jpg
    Honey Bee (worker) 2.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Garden Cross Spider - vignette.jpg
    Garden Cross Spider - vignette.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Garden Cross Spider (headshot).jpg
    Garden Cross Spider (headshot).jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 42
The bee images are very nice. The lens is even better! You need to watch out for the depth of field with macro lenses as it can be within millimetres. Good light and a steady hand are essential as blurring happens otherwise. It takes practice but you are on to it already. Try close ups of flower centres , raindrops on glass, tree bark, any small metallic object (screw threads are a good challenge), . Let your imagination run as you wont be wasting film. The delete button is your friend. Just persist and you will be surprised and pleased with what you can achieve.

Bees are even more of a challenge in flight. I have a really cool BIF (Bee in flight) shot but it wasnt taken with an R series camera so I cant post it.

I got this one taken with an R7 without a macro lens. I used an EF100-200mm f2.8 L series zoom as I didnt have a macro lens handy. Still a pleasing result IMHO.

Attachments

• Bee species..JPG
    Bee species..JPG
    534.8 KB · Views: 45
The bee images are very nice. The lens is even better! You need to watch out for the depth of field with macro lenses as it can be within millimetres. Good light and a steady hand are essential as blurring happens otherwise. It takes practice but you are on to it already. Try close ups of flower centres , raindrops on glass, tree bark, any small metallic object (screw threads are a good challenge), . Let your imagination run as you wont be wasting film. The delete button is your friend. Just persist and you will be surprised and pleased with what you can achieve.
Thanks for the suggestions Barry. đź‘Ť

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back