Canon R6 II New User Questions

border guy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
cliff
Well, I made my mind up and moved from Nikon to Canon so I'm now the proud owner of an R62 and the 100-500 lens (and a lot less cash in the bank) Can't believe how light this kit is compared to my old Nikon/Tamron setup. Got to get my head around the menu system now and sort out the AF to my liking . One thing that's stumped me is the Canon Raw files, I'm struggling to transfer them to my PC to view ! If anyone could recommend a good transfer program to get them on my Mac I would be grateful. Also, is there a dng converter out there to covert the Raw files?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing some images on here once things are sorted.

Cliff.

Congrats. My primary developer is Lightroom Classic but I always use Canon's DPP to pre cull and remove unwanted files before importing into into LrC. DPP's downsizing/scaling algorithm for 'fit to screen' display is very good - contrasty which creates the illusion of sharpness. It's basically viewing a final Jpeg.

I also use DPP to view final exported files from LrC because of the scaling, especially a 27" 5K screen. My exported files are on the desktop and I just find them in the DPP folder structure.

I plug my card into the card reader on the Mac which opens on the desktop. In DPP's folder structure I find the card.

1. From the top menu bar. Edit - Select all
2. From the top DDP menu bar. Quick Check and to the right Full Screen
3. With arrow keys scroll right and X unwanted files
4. If you change you mind on a file press ESC and to the right click on the Reject button
5. Press full screen again and continue
6. When done press ESC and then the exit Quick Check icon on the upper left
7. From the top menu bar. Edit - Rating - Select Rejected Images only
8. From the top menu bar. File - Move to Trash

I then create a folder on the desktop, select all the files, drag them to the folder and ten import into LrC. You may want to do that first just in case. I do it right off the card and have never had a problem. Take a dozen test shots and try it out first if you are interested in this.

Congrats! I've used Adobe's DNG converter on the PC, and a Mac version is available. I'm strongly considering switching platforms, so I'd be interested to know what others are using to transfer images to the Mac.

Hi Steven and thanks for the reply. Yes, I have the Adobe DNG converter on my Mac but unfortunately, my version won't accept the Canon raw files and I can't update to the latest version because my operating system is too old (Mojave) so it looks like I might be in for a new pc.

Cliff.

Canon has EOS Utility software free for culling and file transfer. It will build folders by day or week or whatever and per your folder and file naming conventions.
Hi, Yes I've seen it, unfortunately, my O. S is too old to download it so just waiting for my son to call around to update it.
Cheers.

No version of DPP will open a DNG as far as I know. I have the latest and version and when I open a folder that has DNG and it does not see any. It's in the OS folder.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2023-05-24-at-1.28.56-PM.jpg
    Screenshot-2023-05-24-at-1.28.56-PM.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 70
No version of DPP will open a DNG as far as I know. I have the latest and version and when I open a folder that has DNG and it does not see any. It's in the OS folder.
What version of Mac OS do I need to get DPP to download on my pc?

I went as far back as Mojave and it still offered it at the Canon US site.

View attachment 16460View attachment 16461
Just discovered it's not the OS. it's when i choose the R6 ii ! so I just clicked on R6 and it let me download it....strange. *Update R6 ii not yet supported on DPP 😩

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back