No more DPReview, so now what?

lostnomore

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
City/State
Alberta
I mentioned in another thread how I will immensely miss the astounding depth of information found on DPReview outside of the forums, ex. camera and lens reviews. But I guess the question now is, what other sites are good for in-depth reviews of cameras, lenses, etc.? Put another way, what have been your go-to favorite sites over the years outside of DPReview? I'm asking not only for myself in terms of trying to fill this tremendous void, but also for the sake of others who feel the same.

I guess that for in-depth camera reviews, I haven't had a specific site I visited. I usually like to do a Google search and read as many different opinions as I could find, and then I would have a feeling if I should consider the camera or not.

For specific reviews, I have depended on DXOMARK for lens reviews/tests and for sensor reviews/tests because for these two things I want to have objective data dealing only with the facts and not opinions.

I am also interested if there are any other sites out there that I haven't heard of. Hopefully someone will have some good suggestions. I am always interested in learning.

For in-depth written camera and lens reviews, I recommend The-Digital-Picture.com

For lens reviews on YouTube, I enjoy the style of Chris Frost

I like the YouTube / written camera and lens reviews by Gordon Laing / Camera Labs

I also enjoy the (more relaxed) YouTube content of Kai W (and Lok) - former DigitalRev

For detailed comparisons of things like dynamic range, I recommend Photons to Photos

Going forward, Chris and Jordan (DPReview TV) will be providing YouTube content for PetalPixel

Phil

Last edited:
taPixelI mentioned in another thread how I will immensely miss the astounding depth of information found on DPReview outside of the forums, ex. camera and lens reviews. But I guess the question now is, what other sites are good for in-depth reviews of cameras, lenses, etc.? Put another way, what have been your go-to favorite sites over the years outside of DPReview? I'm asking not only for myself in terms of trying to fill this tremendous void, but also for the sake of others who feel the same.
PetaPixel and Canon Rumors.

guess im a dinasaur i prefer forums to facebook groups easier to find threads etc

hopefully rfshooters takes off.

beginners section maybe.

editing section maybe

I mentioned in another thread how I will immensely miss the astounding depth of information found on DPReview outside of the forums, ex. camera and lens reviews. But I guess the question now is, what other sites are good for in-depth reviews of cameras, lenses, etc.? Put another way, what have been your go-to favorite sites over the years outside of DPReview? I'm asking not only for myself in terms of trying to fill this tremendous void, but also for the sake of others who feel the same.
Dustin Abbot does some very in depth reviews. I think his lens reviews are better than DPReviews were. He tests their performance and then gives you a very good understanding of the lens’ usability, it’s strengths and weaknesses, why you’d want to use it and how.

Last edited:
guess im a dinasaur i prefer forums to facebook groups easier to find threads etc

hopefully rfshooters takes off.

beginners section maybe.

editing section maybe
Thanks for the suggestions Peter. I'll have a think about how we could add a beginners section. Maybe just a new forum close to the top so that it can't be missed. We do have a Post Processing Forum but perhaps this needs more prominence as well?

I've just seen this on logging into DPreview this evening. It's a shame as it was another good source of Canon info. This Forum was mentioned by some and so we may pick up some new members. Just would add extra views and help.

seems to be more trffic on here last week is that correct @Timothy Mayo
It's definitely a little busier with quite a few DPR Refugees joining up here thanks to @PKM-UK - Hopefully the trend continues although I'd prefer to see DPReview saved at the last minute.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back