Followers
Following
Name
Dean Wilson
City/State
Canby, Oregon
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Once day I was hiking alone on a strenuous trek and I had to stop and catch my breath (asthma) and I saw some ripe blackberries so I used that as an excuse to stop. After quite a few blackberries I continued my uphill trek. After a few steps I started wheezing again and I thought to myself:

"Great. Now, I smell like food and sound like a wounded animal!"

Question: I know many people carry Bear Spray and of course you cannot carry it across country borders, so I was wondering if an Air Horn would be as effective. Anyone have personal experience?

Feel free to sing along....

0M4A1389-Edit.jpg
  • Canon EOS R
  • RF24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 3/10 sec
  • ISO 100

Here in Japan, many hikers attach bear bells to their packs or belts--it's pretty much standard equipment for many. I just wish they'd remove them in areas with very little chance of bear encounters, as it can be annoying when you're trying to enjoy the peace and solitude of the forest...and these noisy bells can screw up a good photo chance.

Or, apparently, a Canon zoom lens has the ability to ward off bears.

Anecdote. When preparing my Boy Scouts for a trip in the Colorado Rockies, they asked about bear attacks. Response is different for black bears to brown bears I replied. “How do you tell what bears are around?”
“Well, their scat is different. Bears are omnivores. So you inspect the scat. Both are basically the same. But brown bear scat is bigger…and has bells in it!”

I know this thread was from a long time ago, but I just now saw it.
I live in Alaska, in bear country. See attached cell phone pics of brown bear tracks (a sow and cub) that I took on 12-06-2023, just last week.
I carry a handgun when I am away from my truck when I am out taking photos. I don't carry bells, but that is just a personal preference, as lots of people up here do carry bells when in bear country. My photographer friend and I do make lots of noise when she and I are out in the woods. Talking loudly is a good way to let bears know you are there. I also think air horns are a good idea. I think it was the US Geological Survey (?) that used to have its surveyors carry an air horn and blast it every 15 minutes or so when out in the backwoods. When you are near running water or something else that makes noise, you may need something really noisy to ensure you are heard!

Attachments

• 20231206_141453.jpg
    20231206_141453.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231206_141504.jpg
    20231206_141504.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 22
Here in Florida besides Black Bear, panthers and alligators the next thing to be worry are snakes and people (these two in not particular order). In where I live you could encounter a black bear but you will have to be in really isolated areas of the natural reserve and the odds of finding one are really small. Florida panthers are very deep into the Everglades. We know that they are there because of trap cameras, I do not know of any human encounter. From time to time you hear of an alligator attack but mostly are people swimming or walking dogs near water. I have never heard of a photographer being attack by an alligator and I have seen few of them in the wild and of course I have taken pictures of them.

So... probably the most dangerous could be snakes and people. Considering that I carry and handgun and you can guess which animal I consider most dangerous ;) .

Regarding snakes, I do not know what should be considered a good protection against them. 🧐 We have few of them really venomous around here.

Good points. I agree on people being the most dangerous. For some reason, we seem to attract crazy people around here. :sneaky: I figure a 9 with a decent sized magazine ought to take care of most of those problems. For bears I'd rather have something a bit larger. Thank goodness we don't have any snakes!!!!!!! I grew up around rattle snakes in Wyoming, and I'm sorry, but I really, really don't like them.😒
You can keep your snakes down there. 😁

As far as snakes are concerned, if I am going anywhere off trail, I will wear snake gaiters on my 3/4 height hikers. (I have extremely wide feet otherwise I would wear full snake boots.)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back