R-1

Hmm bit strange rumors though.

MPix -king: 1-line is always about speed, not mpix. Are they going to make some 60MPix+ monster at 30fps?

Ergonomics: I haven't held anything better than 1DX so I hope they don't break the mold

Video: Half of me don't care, the other half hopes to get good camera with 240fps (or faster) recording for sports. Currently there's no good options (for me) which are budget friendly that would shoot 240fps. Literally cell phones are best option at the moment.

Hmm bit strange rumors though.

MPix -king: 1-line is always about speed, not mpix. Are they going to make some 60MPix+ monster at 30fps?

Ergonomics: I haven't held anything better than 1DX so I hope they don't break the mold

Video: Half of me don't care, the other half hopes to get good camera with 240fps (or faster) recording for sports. Currently there's no good options (for me) which are budget friendly that would shoot 240fps. Literally cell phones are best option at the moment.
best series ever, I agree with you.

If the camera concentrates on 8k video, I'm not interested. I want a 1dx style cam with 70-90mps. Don't care about video.

If the camera concentrates on 8k video, I'm not interested. I want a 1dx style cam with 70-90mps. Don't care about video.
me too. I love photo-centric camera. But seems like if you want to get anything currant it will have to have video these days.

Video is the future (just look at IG and the other "photo platforms"). It just is, so the R1 can't ignore it, just as it can't only be about it. If they do it right it will deliver for both, which I expect is why it's been so long coming. Honestly, I doubt I'll "need" either end, particularly in an R3 style body.

Well, if there's enough resolution and framerate, which the photo-cameras are trying to maximize anyway, the step to video is then minuscule and natural. If a camera came out that could do 80MP at 60-120fps, and DIDN'T have video, there would be a lot of very puzzled faces. So don't expect it!

me too. I love photo-centric camera. But seems like if you want to get anything currant it will have to have video these days.

I agree completely. I have little interest in video (maybe it's my age showing) so I agree with both PhotoJim58 and RedCobra. Maybe we need get into medium format and take a closer look at something like the Hasselblad X2D 100C ;)

I wonder if they could have high enough mpix that they could use "normal" mode with full mpix for normal shooting and then sports mode with 4x binning and still have some 20M+ pixels (so would need 80M+ native). That binning might help increase fps to insane speeds, while 80M+ just would be impossible to maintain at high fps for data pipe reasons. Binning would help maintain quality at low light situations, which is like half the sports. Also file size, I'm already getting swamped for R5 files when shooting sports...

I think some cameras already did the binning, and R5 has it for video too. So it wouldn't be completely novel idea.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back