Canon R5 R5 - lines in photo in low light/high iso settings - Thoughts? See photo attached please

twilhelms

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
twilhelms
Hello.
When I'm shooting in real low light and using a high ISO, I keep getting lines in my photos. Please see attached photo as an example. Does anyone know why this happens? This is my first mirror camera and have never had this issue before.

Attachments

• 6Q1A9787.jpg
    6Q1A9787.jpg
    958.7 KB · Views: 58
Need to see more examples in different conditions with EXIF included and what shutter mode you were using (electronic, first curtain, mechanical). Would also love to see the same photo take with lower ISO settings and different shutter speed.

Knowing nothing other than what I see in front of me I can posit a lot of possibilities, including an ultra high rate of light flicker that is captured perfectly by the sensor sweep at this specific shutter speed, the same sweep responsible for rolling shutter in other types of shots. If you're only seeing it in this conditions at a particular shutter speed I suspect that's more your problem than low light and high ISO, but more information and examples will tell the tale.

What was your shutter speed?

EDIT: were you in electronic shutter? I can TOTALLY see that being an issue.

Stage lights like those are often multicolored. You can set them to do changing patterns and so forth, and by nature they are emitting a mix of colors at any one time. Our eyes blend a lot of things together automatically, but the camera doesn't. A longer exposure can force that blend to happen on the sensor.

LED animated signs also give some really strange effects at high shutter speeds.

What you got there is really interesting!

Last edited:
Try Anti Flicker setting? Besides that a corrupt card but I have not seen one do that before.
The R5 sadly only has the regular anti flicker, not the high frequency variant the R6II/R8 have. The HF anti flicker almost magic, but you have to recalibrate it almost every shot in dynamic environments.
I hope new bodies will gain a "continuous update" mode for HF anti flicker, that would make things a lot easier for me. Especially during the winter season where most of the pictures I take are indoors with LED lighting. And it's not a candid anymore if the shutter clack alerts my kids after the first picture :)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back