Followers
Following
Name
Allan Kravitz
City/State
Saddlebrooke, AZ
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
New to Canon mirrorless shooting on the go. I last canon camera was a 7D over 10 years old. local Photo club has convinced me to go to back button focus. Youtube has more than 4 version of how to set it up. I do macro and travel photography. Any suggestions.

Hi @allankravitz - I’m a back button newbie and probably not the best person to advise. I was preparing for safari and have been shooting sports and wildlife. I use two back buttons for focus - one for spot or area and one for eye detect.
If anything what I like best is the decoupling of focus from shutter release.

Hi Allan, I (shoot a lot of birds) too set mine up like Trevor: AF back button for spot AF and the star button for eye detect (as was suggested by certain YouTube videos).

Some other tweaks I made: I changed my DOF button on the front to switch between servo and one shot, though I'm not sure how useful you would find this. And I set up my C1 and C2 with settings for shooting birds with the only difference being electronic shutter (C1) and mechanical (C2). Attached a chart I find helpful.

Attachments

• shutter speed.jpg
    shutter speed.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 140
I have my R5 set up the same with back button for normal AF and star button for eye detect AF. I don't think I could now go back to using the shutter button for focus. Mind you, if you need to use a remote release it has to be changed back for the shutter button otherwise it won't focus. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Hi Allan, I (shoot a lot of birds) too set mine up like Trevor: AF back button for spot AF and the star button for eye detect (as was suggested by certain YouTube videos).

Some other tweaks I made: I changed my DOF button on the front to switch between servo and one shot, though I'm not sure how useful you would find this. And I set up my C1 and C2 with settings for shooting birds with the only difference being electronic shutter (C1) and mechanical (C2). Attached a chart I find helpful.
David, is the DOF button the one on the front bottom of the camera? I have been calling it the pinky button.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back