Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Antoine Weis
City/State
Fribourg area (Switzerland)
Any alternative to DPP-4 (or in body) method for disentangling R7 burst files? Both methods are a real pain in the neck, and you need to train the workflow of your fingers in order to develop some efficiency in extracting the shots you wish to keep. First time that I have used DPP, and I cannot belive, how a manufacturer who produces so outstanding bodies and lenses and user-friendly in-body menus is able to deliver a so badly performing software (in particular with respect to speed) as DPP. If at least some reasonable use of the GPU could be implemented....

DPP4 is the only software that supports bursts on the R7, and many other RAW functions available on the other cameras. Their tech, their solution. At least until another company decides it's worthwhile adding it.

I can't comment on R7, RAW, or Burst processing, but I'll gladly join in on hating DPP.
Slow, clunky, glitchy, and for some reason strips metadata from the focus-stacked images. WHY??? o_O

Hey CANON! I guess that a firmware change should be able to propose to the user a burst storage in a single file or as individual files (like Olympus, e.g., does), or even better to have all files of a given burst stored in a folder.

So if you "shoot continuously" in RAW it puts all of the shots into one file?

If you’re using the “RAW Burst” functionality the camera saves the series in one file, yes. The only ways to sort through them is either in camera or using DPP4.

There's a Raw Burst mode that, once enabled, will effectively buffer 1/2 second of raw images as soon as the shutter button is half depressed and will save that 1/2 second along with everything after in a single Raw file. Without DPP you only see the image at the time you fully pressed the shutter button. With DPP you can access 15 frames before the shutter was depressed and 30 fps from depression onward. Great for the kind of shots you "just missed" before because you didn't anticipate the action - like a bird taking off. These can also be accessed in-camera, and (I believe) extracted in some manner, but there I'm not certain.

No special software is needed for normal 30fps shooting.

In continuation of the previous comment: You can browse in-camera through the individual frames of the burst. By defining a start and an end point you can extract the sequence of pics between these points and either save this as a new burst file, or overwrite the original file. You may further extract individual frames and save them as jpg, RAW or HEIF files. I will post a burst sequence of a diving kingfisher later in the day.

That's really cool! I must've missed that part in the manual, providing R6 also has this feature. Will definitely try it out if it does.

Seems that's not an R6 feature. Womp Womp.

Last edited:
One more thing: If - after decomposing a, say 40 pics, burst into its individual RAWs - you wish to develop them into JPGs in DPP4, start a batch process and you will have plenty of time to have coffee (or tea, if you prefer) :mad:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back