Renting an R6

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Hello from Washington State. I'll be renting an R6, coming in tomorrow, with the option to buy. I've been shooting for years with the 7D II. How to I go about reading the shutter count on the R6?

I don't think there is any way to track the shutter count on an R6. It's likely less critical now with electronic shutter. There is a "Shutter Count" field in the menu system, but it only tracks shutter count since the last battery change, not toal shutter count.

Thanks! Here's what one R6 owner told me, but it may have only counted like you said, since the last battery change.

"I purchased an app on my Mac computer called shutter count. It was about six dollars. I then connected the camera to the computer using Wi-Fi and ran the program."​

Thanks! Here's what one R6 owner told me, but it may have only counted like you said, since the last battery change.

"I purchased an app on my Mac computer called shutter count. It was about six dollars. I then connected the camera to the computer using Wi-Fi and ran the program."​

I did see reference to that type of app, but have no knowledge of them. From what I read, it may give you a decent approximation of shutter count, perhaps to the closest 1000, but that is based solely on what I read on the internet.

Welcome and thanks for joining up here! Hope you enjoy the R6 rental. Like other have mentioned here Canon makes it rather difficult to read the shutter count, the Shutter Count app is the only option I've heard of but haven't tried it myself.

Welcome and thanks for joining up here! Hope you enjoy the R6 rental. Like other have mentioned here Canon makes it rather difficult to read the shutter count, the Shutter Count app is the only option I've heard of but haven't tried it myself.
Thank You!

The Shuttercount app is excellent and very accurate. I paid next to nothing for mine and it appears as if the same one is now free to download although there is a "Pro" version which you pay for. It kept a very accurate count of the last two DSLR camera bodies I had and was very useful to aid a sale for one of them.
I have just plugged in my R5 and to my slight horror I saw that the camera has taken 11,000 actuations but that includes electronic. Now as I seem to have hardly taken any shots at all I now wonder what actuations it includes? If it includes video electronic then yes, I can see why it soon mounts up.
To be perfectly honest though in my opinion shutter count is totally over rated as a sole means of evaluating the camera's worth. However, a high count will reduce the value if and when you resell it and probably by more than the cost of replacing the shutter which isn't that expensive if truth be known. I have never actually heard of a camera having shutter failure...there must be some of course.....but it's like manufacturers warranties against defaults. I have never needed to claim on any of the 8 Canon bodies I have owned. Only the 1DX2 needed a minor repair to the top wheel which wasn't very expensive either and that was after 162,000 actuations .

The Shuttercount app is excellent and very accurate. I paid next to nothing for mine and it appears as if the same one is now free to download although there is a "Pro" version which you pay for. It kept a very accurate count of the last two DSLR camera bodies I had and was very useful to aid a sale for one of them.
I have just plugged in my R5 and to my slight horror I saw that the camera has taken 11,000 actuations but that includes electronic. Now as I seem to have hardly taken any shots at all I now wonder what actuations it includes? If it includes video electronic then yes, I can see why it soon mounts up.
To be perfectly honest though in my opinion shutter count is totally over rated as a sole means of evaluating the camera's worth. However, a high count will reduce the value if and when you resell it and probably by more than the cost of replacing the shutter which isn't that expensive if truth be known. I have never actually heard of a camera having shutter failure...there must be some of course.....but it's like manufacturers warranties against defaults. I have never needed to claim on any of the 8 Canon bodies I have owned. Only the 1DX2 needed a minor repair to the top wheel which wasn't very expensive either and that was after 162,000 actuations .
agreed ... i have owned at least 10 canon bodies and i have never had a shutter failure. I shoot bands in bars and various sundry of shots and i really do work all my cameras .... i'm now up to my R5 and never have I given it a second thought on the count ... only thing Canon repaired and tuned up was my 24-70 vs1 f 2.8 lens and that was cheaper than a new one

Used shuttercount in the past, just check compatibility with body before getting it, not all bodies work with it.

Hello from Washington State. I'll be renting an R6, coming in tomorrow, with the option to buy. I've been shooting for years with the 7D II. How to I go about reading the shutter count on the R6?
I sold my 7D MKII and bought the Canon R shortly after they came out. I have really enjoyed it. I am 80 years old and have some health issues but still shoot quite a bit. I have been a shooter for almost 50 years and have been through some massive changes in technology. I don't know about how to determine the shutter count on the R6 but I think you will enjoy using it. There is a bit of a learning curve coming from the 7D MKII but it is not bad.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back