Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Roxanne Baggott
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'm just a hobbyist photographer. I have the Canon R8 and have 2 lenses. RF 35mm f1.8 and RF 24-105 f4 L-series. I like to carry my camera with me in my purse all the time for everyday photography. I wonder if you could choose ONLY ONE of these 2 lenses to carry, which would you choose and why? Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Do you have the f/4-7.1 IS STM version or the f/4 L version of that lens? The f/4 L is my favorite everyday lens, and I would choose it over the 35mm f/1.8 for the following reasons.

The R8 doesn't have In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) but the lens has an Image Stabilization switch. So, assuming you can always shoot at f/4, the lens IS will allow you to use slower shutter speeds with less light and still compensate for camera shake.

The 24-105mm zoom is great for urban walkabouts and country landscapes, and I can get some images that would be more difficult with the 35mm. There are some places in town where I don't *want* to be up close and personal, and having 105mm lets me shoot from a safer distance.

24mm isn't as wide as my 16mm f/2.8 lens, but it's usually wide enough (and obviously wider than 35mm) for great landscape shots.

The only downside with f/4 is the lack of bokeh background blur, but I don't really miss it on my walkabouts. (Also, some editing software will let you add that blur in post-processing.)

Do you have the f/4-7.1 IS STM version or the f/4 L version of that lens? The f/4 L is my favorite everyday lens, and I would choose it over the 35mm f/1.8 for the following reasons.

The R8 doesn't have In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) but the lens has an Image Stabilization switch. So, assuming you can always shoot at f/4, the lens IS will allow you to use slower shutter speeds with less light and still compensate for camera shake.

The 24-105mm zoom is great for urban walkabouts and country landscapes, and I can get some images that would be more difficult with the 35mm. There are some places in town where I don't *want* to be up close and personal, and having 105mm lets me shoot from a safer distance.

24mm isn't as wide as my 16mm f/2.8 lens, but it's usually wide enough (and obviously wider than 35mm) for great landscape shots.

The only downside with f/4 is the lack of bokeh background blur, but I don't really miss it on my walkabouts. (Also, some editing software will let you add that blur in post-processing.)
Thank you. It is f4 L lens

The 35mm f/1.8 is also an IS lens. I have both of those lenses. The 35 f/1.8 is one of my favorite lenses also, and does a great job with video, though I usually use it on my RP as my webcam. But it does well as a video or portrait lens on my R6 mkII also. With my 24-105 or 24-70 I rarely go much wider than 35mm anyway, as I just don't like the super wide look. I prefer 35mm and tighter. But that's a personal preference.

For everyday walking around, the 24-104 f/4 is probably the better options just because of the zoom capability. But if you want to do night or low light work and you have the freedom to use your feet to zoom with, the 35mm is obviously much faster and better at low light.

I have an R8 as well, and while I don't have either of those exact lenses, I have the 24-105 STM, and a couple of the small primes. If I'm just walking around and want to have my camera on me just in case a photo opportunity pops up (which to me sounds like you wanting to just throw your camera in your purse for whenever), especially when with my kids, I usually keep the RF 28mm pancake on my R8, whereas if I'm looking for a simple setup with the intention of taking photos somewhere but don't feel like having my whole camera bag with me, it's the 24-105. I tend to favour small and light above all else. If I make my camera too large and heavy to want to bring it with me, it's not going to matter what lens I'm using if it's back at home. So given your scenario, I imagine I'd favour the 35 for the days when I want to have my camera with me just in case, and then the 24-105 if I'm looking to be portable but am intending to take many photos and want that added versatility and flexibility.

I have the R6II and R5. Lately I’ve been using prime lenses a lot more than the zooms. Maybe it’s a phase, but I’m enjoying it. Primes are forcing me to be more involved in the creative process. I was always a zoom lens person but for the last few street and portrait shoots, have been really enjoying the primes. If I’m not going out to specifically to take photos, but want to bring a camera, that’s the Fuji X100F every time.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back