Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
Hi Team
I have a R7 with the RF-S 18-150 that I took to a recent trip. While the 18-150 range satisfy my needs when I'm on a trip taking landscape and street/candid pictures the quality of the candid or portrait pictures is not what I want or like. I own a EF70-200 which I love but being a actually a 112-320 in the R7 that range does not satisfy my landscape needs. I tried to use a speed booster with the 70-200 and that almost did the trick but the vignetting was really bad at 70mm.

So I want to replace the 18-150 with something with image quality and range that would satisfy my range and bokeh requirements.

I'm not willing to pay the RF prices, I'm looking for something in the range of $500 or less. I have researched EF lenses, mostly first generation but I'm not finding enough information about how they are working in the R7. These are my current candidates:

Canon EF 24-70 L f4 (around $500 used) I'm hesitating on this one because it's a f4, I would have preferred a f2.8 but the f2.8 Mk1 is around $600 and the Mk2 is about $800.
Canon EF 24-105 L f4 (around $700 used). This one again makes me hesitate because is an f4 and I have read comments about not working properly in the R7.
Sigma EF-S 50-100 f1.8 Art lens (around $600-$800 used). So far this is the one that pleased me, the only one is that minimum aperture is 50mm so I'm not sure if it's wide enough for landscape taking pictures of Mayan structures and buildings and 100mm is not good enough for wild life photography when you are taking pictures of Mayan structures.

I want to read what is the experience of other R7 owners. What is the best of the 3 I listed and if I missed any other lens that should be consider to replace the RF-S 18-150.

Solution
Ok, I pulled the trigger

Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 di ii vc hld aps-c

Quality may not be the best but it's weather sealed and good to be used as a lens to take on trips.
Hi Team
I have a R7 with the RF-S 18-150 that I took to a recent trip. While the 18-150 range satisfy my needs when I'm on a trip taking landscape and street/candid pictures the quality of the candid or portrait pictures is not what I want or like. I own a EF70-200 which I love but being a actually a 112-320 in the R7 that range does not satisfy my landscape needs. I tried to use a speed booster with the 70-200 and that almost did the trick but the vignetting was really bad at 70mm.

So I want to replace the 18-150 with something with image quality and range that would satisfy my range and bokeh requirements.

I'm not willing to pay the RF prices, I'm looking for something in the range of $500 or less. I have researched EF lenses, mostly first generation but I'm not finding enough information about how they are working in the R7. These are my current candidates:

Canon EF 24-70 L f4 (around $500 used) I'm hesitating on this one because it's a f4, I would have preferred a f2.8 but the f2.8 Mk1 is around $600 and the Mk2 is about $800.
Canon EF 24-105 L f4 (around $700 used). This one again makes me hesitate because is an f4 and I have read comments about not working properly in the R7.
Sigma EF-S 50-100 f1.8 Art lens (around $600-$800 used). So far this is the one that pleased me, the only one is that minimum aperture is 50mm so I'm not sure if it's wide enough for landscape taking pictures of Mayan structures and buildings and 100mm is not good enough for wild life photography when you are taking pictures of Mayan structures.

I want to read what is the experience of other R7 owners. What is the best of the 3 I listed and if I missed any other lens that should be consider to replace the RF-S 18-150.
I also use a 18-150mm my R7 and find it quite good for landscapes, and appreciate it's wide range on travel and compact size. (I also have a RS 70-200 F4, but heavier for some trips). Personally I don't need bokeh for landscapes, and for street or portrait pictures with nice bokeh I carry with me a small RF 50mm 1.8 wich is incredibly cheap, and an old EF 85mm F 1.8, that's the cheapest alternative I found for me.

My wife uses that 18-400 when we travel. Image quality is quite good for a superzoom and more than adequate for vacation photos. It does have one issue with the R7. If I take it off, use an RF lens, and put it back on, the image jumps erratically in the viewfinder. I don't know whether it's an AF or IS issue. Pulling the battery solves it. It's an older lens - a newer lens with later firmware might work better. She never changes lenses anyway, so it's not a problem for her.

My wife uses that 18-400 when we travel. Image quality is quite good for a superzoom and more than adequate for vacation photos. It does have one issue with the R7. If I take it off, use an RF lens, and put it back on, the image jumps erratically in the viewfinder. I don't know whether it's an AF or IS issue. Pulling the battery solves it. It's an older lens - a newer lens with later firmware might work better. She never changes lenses anyway, so it's not a problem for her.
If you are talking about the Tamron 18-400 I found that you need to upgrade the lens firmware to the latest version to have it working correctly in the R7.
Since I posted this I bought it and have used few times. It's what I call an OK lens. AF is not fast and it's not sharp compared to my other lenses, but if you need just one lens to cover all the possible ranges, this is the lens.

Here is an example of a picture taken with this lens.

Yes, the Tamron. I thought about getting a dock to update the firmware, but it's the only Tamron lens we have, and as long as it stays on the camera it works fine.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back