Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Colin Wimbridge
City/State
Perth, Western Australia
The company I work for in Western Australia..... we have a fleet of Pilatus PC12s, PC24s (fixed wing) and EC-145 helicopters.

Both images taken with my Canon R5 with Sigma 60-600mm lens

Jet - f/8 | 1/3200s | ISO 400
Chopper - f/7.1 | 1/1000s | ISO 100

_E0A0856.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports 018
  • 295.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 400
_E0A0728.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 186.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

You're the only other person that I've found on this site shooting with the same combination of lens and body as I am.
Are you having any problems with focus or unsharp images? I'm very pleased with this combination and the images
I have captured have exceeded my expectations of a third party lens. I did have to download the lates firmware for the
camera and the lens before I was able to get them to work together seamlessly. Thanks for your post, you made my day.

You're the only other person that I've found on this site shooting with the same combination of lens and body as I am.
Are you having any problems with focus or unsharp images? I'm very pleased with this combination and the images
I have captured have exceeded my expectations of a third party lens. I did have to download the lates firmware for the
camera and the lens before I was able to get them to work together seamlessly. Thanks for your post, you made my day.
Hi There, I've had the lens for over a year now and I have had some success... However, my bird photography isn't making me happy.. I've got some nice landcape and aviation images but just cannot nail birds... not sure if it's me or the lens... Just a few days ago I took a couple hundred shots with maybe 4 or five that I fee are just ok... lovely colours, but eith too much noise, not crisp enough or just not sharp enough... not sure how to post images here.

Hi There, I've had the lens for over a year now and I have had some success... However, my bird photography isn't making me happy.. I've got some nice landcape and aviation images but just cannot nail birds... not sure if it's me or the lens... Just a few days ago I took a couple hundred shots with maybe 4 or five that I fee are just ok... lovely colours, but eith too much noise, not crisp enough or just not sharp enough... not sure how to post images here.
It has taken me a while to figure out this camera body and it's many settings. I have watched many a YouTube video on setting the r5 up for bird photos. I followed the instructions of one or two of the photographers and finally have the setting just right. It does take time to get it right but don't give up as the results are extremely good. On thing I have found is I was used to shooting my old camera, a 1DX at slower shutter speeds without motion blur or shake. Now I have to shoot at much higher shutter speeds to avoid camera shake blur. It was explained to me that with the addition of so many mega pixels over and above the 1DX, it exaggerates movement and magnifies it in the image. I'm finding that I need to use a minimum of 1/2000 sec for moving subjects especially if they are small. I usually shoot at f9 or f11 to get the depth of field I need for these shots as well. This means that the ISO has to take up the slack and I commonly shoot at 2500 or 3200 ISO. I'm loading directly into LRc and making minor adjustments and noise reduction. I've been pleased with the results. If you haven't already, take a look at several videos on r5 set up for birds and try them. Here are a couple of images I have taken so you can compare. These are all cropped by at least 40-50%.
20230126-_E7A0295.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 1250
20230126-_E7A0422.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1250
20230126-_E7A0064.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1250

I forgot to mention to make sure your firmware is up to date on both camera and lens. Mine didn't work until I did this. What software are you using for storage and processing your images?

It has taken me a while to figure out this camera body and it's many settings. I have watched many a YouTube video on setting the r5 up for bird photos. I followed the instructions of one or two of the photographers and finally have the setting just right. It does take time to get it right but don't give up as the results are extremely good. On thing I have found is I was used to shooting my old camera, a 1DX at slower shutter speeds without motion blur or shake. Now I have to shoot at much higher shutter speeds to avoid camera shake blur. It was explained to me that with the addition of so many mega pixels over and above the 1DX, it exaggerates movement and magnifies it in the image. I'm finding that I need to use a minimum of 1/2000 sec for moving subjects especially if they are small. I usually shoot at f9 or f11 to get the depth of field I need for these shots as well. This means that the ISO has to take up the slack and I commonly shoot at 2500 or 3200 ISO. I'm loading directly into LRc and making minor adjustments and noise reduction. I've been pleased with the results. If you haven't already, take a look at several videos on r5 set up for birds and try them. Here are a couple of images I have taken so you can compare. These are all cropped by at least 40-50%.View attachment 13114View attachment 13115View attachment 13116
Great, thank you :)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back