[Share] Practical techniques in handheld macro automatic focus bracketing / stacking (by Mark Overmars)

Stephen

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Stephen Kwong
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Articles published by Mark Overmars

1. Photographing Insects: Focus Bracketing (Using automatic focus bracketing for enhanced focus)

2. Photographing Insects: Adding a Close-up Lens (RF/EF 100mm macro lens with DCR-250)

3. Photographing Insects: Choosing a Macro Lens (RF 100mm and EF 100mm with 31mm extension tube / Raynox DCR-250, and magnification tables)

I had tested with my EOS-R7 with (EF 100mm f/2.8 macro IS and DCR-250)

Actual magnification (excluding the crop factor 1.6), object size in the image divided by actual size
I didn't measure the working distance

at lens position 0.30 (with EF 100mm macro lens only) actual magnification is 1x
at lens position 0.30m (max magnification) actual magnification is 1.94x
at lens position 0.34m actual magnification is 1.44x
at lens position 0.39m actual magnification is 1.27x
at lens position 0.48m (min magnification) actual magnification is 1.12x

4. Other articles published by the author

Last edited:
Great articles, very interesting. Plan to do some focus bracketing/stacking this winter

Wonderful articles explaining the whole process! THANK YOU!

I seem to have relatively little in common with most who post here but I am not sure why. Yesterday my new toy arrived. Does anyone here use a WeMacro rail for focus bracketing? So far I have been playing with settings and greatly appreciated the great customer service provided to get me over my avoidance of cell phones and Bluetooth. Have you tried motorized stacking? At present, I need ideas for subjects that would be fun for a beginner.

I attach my very first WeMacro image showing what remains of a Pink Ladyslipper wildflower that grows in my yard. The insets below show it last Spring. What remains is that green canopy over the top now dried and twisted. With imagination I see a head of some beast facing left with eye, open mouth and 'trunk'. I trust my results will improve with practice. I have not tried a distance method yet or advanced to the point of calculating the best spacings.

Canon R7, Laowa 85mm macro at about 1:1, f/8, 34 images with 0.5mm spacing exposed with the start / end method and combined with Zerene Stacker.

Attachments

• 00firstwemacrol85w34inset.jpg
    00firstwemacrol85w34inset.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 22
I seem to have relatively little in common with most who post here but I am not sure why. Yesterday my new toy arrived. Does anyone here use a WeMacro rail for focus bracketing? So far I have been playing with settings and greatly appreciated the great customer service provided to get me over my avoidance of cell phones and Bluetooth. Have you tried motorized stacking? At present, I need ideas for subjects that would be fun for a beginner.

I attach my very first WeMacro image showing what remains of a Pink Ladyslipper wildflower that grows in my yard. The insets below show it last Spring. What remains is that green canopy over the top now dried and twisted. With imagination I see a head of some beast facing left with eye, open mouth and 'trunk'. I trust my results will improve with practice. I have not tried a distance method yet or advanced to the point of calculating the best spacings.

Canon R7, Laowa 85mm macro at about 1:1, f/8, 34 images with 0.5mm spacing exposed with the start / end method and combined with Zerene Stacker.
I've done focus bracketing with a mechanized rail. I use the StackShot, a nifty device. However, in-camera focus bracketing might be just as good. I have not compared them so far. For the stacking, I have used Zerene and Helicon, both very expensive programs considering the limited application, so they were just the trial versions. Nowadays I use Photoshop for stacking. No additional cost for it.

I have no experience in using electronic rail for focus bracketing. After getting the EOS-R7 camera, I have been using the in-camera focus bracketing/depth composite mode (handheld) for my macro work. I use Canon Digital Photo Professional to stack the photos.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back