Dave Williams

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Williams
I'm curious! Do mirrorless cameras record mechanical,electronic and first curtain actuations all together or separately on indeed at all in the case of electronic? Knowing how much the shutter count can reduce the resale value of a DSLR I'm curious to know, especially if you use the electronic shutter which takes an insane number of shots before you know it!

I think they all count, even though the wear is very different. So yes, you can have crazy shutter counts in the future. Since I shoot sports (if/when it opens), I assume I'll be hitting at least 100k per year, could be even 200k. (I really need to learn to be better at culling too, and maybe need to start deleting pictures. So far I have every picture taken, 2 copies on separate drives)

I think they all count, even though the wear is very different. So yes, you can have crazy shutter counts in the future. Since I shoot sports (if/when it opens), I assume I'll be hitting at least 100k per year, could be even 200k. (I really need to learn to be better at culling too, and maybe need to start deleting pictures. So far I have every picture taken, 2 copies on separate drives)
I shoot a lot of sports as well, and I hate culling...I use Photo Mechanic for a quick first cull...basically either delete/keep for later/edit in lightroom. The other day I shot probably 1,500 pictures at a college soccer match, deleted about 750 for various reasons (for instance, if I know a header is coming, I shoot a burst before the ball arrives and continue until after it is left...I might want three of those shots, but I shoot the burst to make sure those three are in there), moved 300 to edit and actually edited and chose to use 68. Photo Mechanic lets me go through the first cut very quickly, much faster than bringing them directly into lightroom.

I shoot a lot of sports as well, and I hate culling...I use Photo Mechanic for a quick first cull...basically either delete/keep for later/edit in lightroom. The other day I shot probably 1,500 pictures at a college soccer match, deleted about 750 for various reasons (for instance, if I know a header is coming, I shoot a burst before the ball arrives and continue until after it is left...I might want three of those shots, but I shoot the burst to make sure those three are in there), moved 300 to edit and actually edited and chose to use 68. Photo Mechanic lets me go through the first cut very quickly, much faster than bringing them directly into lightroom.
i created a book mark for that program ... thank you for bring it to my attention to try

I mostly shoot horses/action and I'm intrigued by Photo Mechanic. I can easily shoot 2000 images in a day, so culling is a must. Thanks for mentioning it.

Photo Mechanic lets me go through the first cut very quickly, much faster than bringing them directly into lightroom.
Don't know which platform you're on? I view them in Preview (default viewer on a Mac) and cull them pretty hard first time, say by 50-80%, using command 0 if necessary to pixel-peep, then either cull again next day or straight into LR. Just wondering whether PM offers any speed benefits on this.

Don't know which platform you're on? I view them in Preview (default viewer on a Mac) and cull them pretty hard first time, say by 50-80%, using command 0 if necessary to pixel-peep, then either cull again next day or straight into LR. Just wondering whether PM offers any speed benefits on this.
John, Does Preview work for you? I can't get it to show the .CR3 files from my R6. I assumed that the Mac does not yet support that (relatively new) format.

John, Does Preview work for you? I can't get it to show the .CR3 files from my R6. I assumed that the Mac does not yet support that (relatively new) format.
Yes, on Catalina 10.15.7 . On EOS R mind you, so older...I recently set Preview as my default for CR3 and CR2 as I got fed up double :censored:clicking them by accident

Last edited:
OK, an R makes sense. Believe it or not, I think the .CR3 files from and R and an R5 or R6 are different format .CR3, so the Mac does not yet support the R5 or R6 .CR3 files. Hopefully they will do this soon.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back