View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

BasilFawlty

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ψ
What to do? Or do nothing? Thinking of three possible options where I limit myself to spending under $2k out of pocket. This is more or less a stream of consciousness which may spark discussion that may or may not be helpful to others.

A. I currently have the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 contemporary which I shoot with an adaptor on my R5. I have applied Duade Paton's suggested settings in the lens and the camera which helps reduce e she of the pulsing issues this combo has (especially with close up subjects). This combination is pretty darn good, but not what I would call excellent. This option is to just keep the Sigma and be happy, then spend the money on something like the Canon R7.

Pros:
1. The lens is just about 4 lbs, which is at least a pound lighter than the RF 200-800
2. The cost is a non-issue since I already own it.
3. Compared to the RF 100-500, it is a third stop brighter on the long end
4. The long end is 100mm more than the RF 100-500
5. Can be used with extenders through the full range
6. Keeping this lens and getting an R7 would: give me effective 240-960mm reach, I could also put 1.4x on my RF70-200 with R7 and get nearly 500mm at f/5.6!
7. Assuming I got an R7, this option would mean a second body...can come in handy often.
Cons: 1. The lens, at 4lbs, is a pound heavier than the RF 100-500.Still hand holdable but gets tiring sooner.
2. The IQ, while good, I'm sure isn't as good as either of the RF options. Ditto the AF.
3. The minimum focus distance on the Sigma is over 9 feet compared to 3 feet with the RF100-500 and even better 2.6' for the RF200-800. So the Sigma is essentially useless for anything relatively close.
4. Filter size in 95mm, which is very expensive to buy filters (only filter I have this size is an Eclipse filter). The RF100-500 used 77mm filter, of which I have many.
5. Not weather sealed.

B. This option would be to sell the Sigma and put the money towards the RF 100-500. I could sell the Sigma for enough such that my out of pocket would be less than $2k

Pros: 1. IQ and AF likely better. The RF100-500 is getting rave reviews and is made for the RF mount. Extra functionality.
2. It is lighter than the Sigma by a full pound, thus easier to hand-hold for longer periods
3. More compact, thus easier to transport
4. Filter size is 77mm and I have several filters for that size already
5. Can be used with extenders (this is both a pro and a con since it will only work at 300mm and beyond with the RF100-500 lens)
6. Minimum focus distance is much better than Sigma (3ft vs 9ft) so filling the frame for small subjects that are close is easier.
7. Weather sealed! Not that I shoot in bad weather, it's still nice to know the lens isn't going to go TU if caught on a downpour.
Cons: 1. Cost. I would have to sell the Sigma to justify getting this lens and still fork out close to $2 grand additional.
2. Focal length is 100mm shorter
3. F-stop is 1/3 stop less bright and would be at f/10 with a 1.4x extender if you needed more than 500mm
4. Extender is unusable at the wide end. Only good for 300mm and beyond.

C. This option would be to keep the Sigma but also buy the RF 200-800 for under $2k

Pros. 1. This option would provide more reach when needed (in good light). 800mm is pretty good!
2. RF mount doesn't need extender
3. IQ and AF likely better than Sigma but I've read that quality drops off some on the long end.
4. I'd still have the Sigma if I needed wider f-stop (late afternoon, sunset conditions).
5. f-stop is as good as the 100-500 (f/7.1) all the way to 455mm and only slightly less (f8) all the way to 637mm. After that it's f9
6. Extender can be used throughout the full range.
Cons: 1. Cost, even though I'd keep the Sigma, I'd still fork out close to $2 grand.
2. Filter Size. This also has a 95mm filter size so my extensive 77mm filter collection would not work.
3. f-stop is only f9 on the long end
4. Not weather sealed

I do like the Sigma / R5 combo, but I think I'm leaning towards selling it and getting the RF 100-500, but maybe not right away (Option B). The things that stand out about this option: Less size and weight to carry around; the filter size is compatible with a lot of filters I have already; IQ is probably going to be better, as is AF.

Anyone else have the Sigma? Are you contemplating a change or addition? Love to hear others' thoughts.

As an owner of the RF 100-500 I'm probably a little biased, but in your shoes I'd sell the Sigma and get the 100-500. The image quality is excellent and the autofocus has rarely let me down. I also enjoy the close focusing capabilities for shooting smaller critters. The extra reach of the 200-800 is appealing but at f/9 that's going to come with a heavy ISO hit especially here in the UK. There were rumors that Sigma might finally be announcing some RF lenses this month but I've not heard anything for a while now so I wouldn't hold my breath, I wouldn't expect a long zoom to be their first lens either.

Maybe rent (or borrow from a very trusting friend) both the RF 100-500 and RF 200-800 and give them a spin before you make any final decisions.

If you think you get Sigma focus pulsing on the R5, the R7 will make you pull your hair out. (Tried a friends sigma on my R7.) Just sold my R7 to MPB. The R7 is a $1k camera and for that it's great, but R5/R6 is way better. Interestingly if you take the 7DMk II price at its intro (2014) and convert to today's dollars it would be $2100.

If you think you get Sigma focus pulsing on the R5, the R7 will make you pull your hair out. (Tried a friends sigma on my R7.) Just sold my R7 to MPB. The R7 is a $1k camera and for that it's great, but R5/R6 is way better. Interestingly if you take the 7DMk II price at its intro (2014) and convert to today's dollars it would be $2100.
Once I used Duade Paton's suggested lens and camera settings, the pulsing issues were much better controlled (on my R5). Not sure how his settings would work out on the R7. At this point, the pulsing is really a non-issue for me.

As an owner of the RF 100-500 I'm probably a little biased, but in your shoes I'd sell the Sigma and get the 100-500. The image quality is excellent and the autofocus has rarely let me down. I also enjoy the close focusing capabilities for shooting smaller critters. The extra reach of the 200-800 is appealing but at f/9 that's going to come with a heavy ISO hit especially here in the UK. There were rumors that Sigma might finally be announcing some RF lenses this month but I've not heard anything for a while now so I wouldn't hold my breath, I wouldn't expect a long zoom to be their first lens either.
Had you had the Sigma 150-600 before you got the RF 100-500?

Had you had the Sigma 150-600 before you got the RF 100-500?
No. I do own the Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS for Sony E-mount which has excellent image quality but it is let down in the AF department when compared to first party lenses from Sony.

I really like the 100-500 with and without the 1.4x. It travels very well and the performance is great on the R5 and R7. I had the Sigma 150-600 Sport when I shot Nikon and that thing was a heavy beast and it performed very well.

I really like the 100-500 with and without the 1.4x. It travels very well and the performance is great on the R5 and R7. I had the Sigma 150-600 Sport when I shot Nikon and that thing was a heavy beast and it performed very well.
I'm really kind of leaning towards selling the Sigma and putting the cash towards the RF 100-500. Later might get the 1.4x extender for times when more reach is needed. Not 100% sure, but I'm leaning that direction. The RF200-800 has more reach, but it weights a full pound and a half more than the RF100-500 and even a half pound more than my Sigma.

I'm really kind of leaning towards selling the Sigma and putting the cash towards the RF 100-500. Later might get the 1.4x extender for times when more reach is needed. Not 100% sure, but I'm leaning that direction. The RF200-800 has more reach, but it weights a full pound and a half more than the RF100-500 and even a half pound more than my Sigma.
I get it. For me, the compactness and performance of the 100-500 + 1.4x makes it the best choice for versatility. It’s easy to handhold, wicked sharp and travels well. The ISO performance of the R series cameras and NR capabilities of today’s software really don’t make the f/7.1 an issue. Last summer I scored a reservation with Bold Coast Charters out of Cutler Maine to photograph the puffins and others on Machais Seal Island. The 100-500 compactness let me travel with a smaller backpack and the smaller form factor was appreciated when moving around in the tight blind on the island. The Sigma is a great lens but heavy, especially the Sport version. I’ve never shot the 200-800 and while the reach interests me, the size and weight do not.

Here’s a few from the trip after Lightroom processing.

_G5A3432.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 2000

20230611-_G5A3142.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 1250

20230611-_G5A3305-Enhanced-NR.jpeg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 428.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 1000

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back