Followers
Following
Name
Dean Wilson
City/State
Canby, Oregon
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I drove past this about 20 times in three days of vacation and admired the structure and texture caused by a wildfire many years earlier. I finally decided to hike down from the cabin at take the shot. The Sun is off to the right for this very late afternoon shot (7 pm in May).

I knew I wanted a black and white from the start. I cropped to 3x4 removing the bottom portion of pure grass as it did not add to the composition. What bothers me is I was so focused on the main tree that I missed the fact I cut out part of secondary tree on the right. This is just for personal satisfaction as a hobbyist.

Should I remove it?
Should I not worry about it?

4P9A1372-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 159.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 500

I wonder if the sky area is helping or hurting the image. Frame edges are very powerful areas and grab attention. The sky being a little brighter than the hills, pushes my eye upward rather than down to the grass and the tree. You might have tried cropping that area out, but have you tried a 2:3 crop ratio with the sky excluded? That will probably remove much of that small tree on the right. That is if you are referring to the branch partly hiding behind the tall grass.

The sky being a little brighter than the hills, pushes my eye upward rather than down to the grass and the tree.
That was bothering me as well. I tried exposure to reduce the attention but as you pointed out, it didn't work. I was a bit afraid to crop too much into the photo, but hey it's an R5 photo, it can take it!

By cropping a bit more to remove the sky it actually takes away enough of the offending tree.
4P9A1372-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 159.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 500

I drove past this about 20 times in three days of vacation and admired the structure and texture caused by a wildfire many years earlier. I finally decided to hike down from the cabin at take the shot. The Sun is off to the right for this very late afternoon shot (7 pm in May).

I knew I wanted a black and white from the start. I cropped to 3x4 removing the bottom portion of pure grass as it did not add to the composition. What bothers me is I was so focused on the main tree that I missed the fact I cut out part of secondary tree on the right. This is just for personal satisfaction as a hobbyist.

Should I remove it?
Should I not worry about it?

View attachment 17309
Hi Dean,

Firstly, as ever, you have a wonderful eye for composition and nailing B&W. So, bottom line, I already like it as it is - the tree on the right doesn't cause me a huge problem.

However, if need be, try alternative crop(s) and - maybe - a mild vignette, or darker sky, using Lightroom's 'Snapshots' feature to flip between and compare all the options.

(I'd also 'heal' those power lines running across the background with the new Photoshop Remove tool - which is very good at providing linear heals without deleting detail).

Phil

Last edited:
That was bothering me as well. I tried exposure to reduce the attention but as you pointed out, it didn't work. I was a bit afraid to crop too much into the photo, but hey it's an R5 photo, it can take it!

By cropping a bit more to remove the sky it actually takes away enough of the offending tree. View attachment 17312
This crop keeps the attention on the tree and the tall grass. Their gentle leaning to the left adds to the dynamics of the frame.

(I'd also 'heal' those power lines running across the background with the new Photoshop Remove tool - which is very good at providing linear heals without deleting detail).
Crap. I did not even see those monstrosities! Apparently I am too poor to pay attention.

Thanks!

Crap. I did not even see those monstrosities! Apparently I am too poor to pay attention.

Thanks!
Hi Dean,

No problem, I wish I could keep up with reality - as I once said to Karen 'what gorilla on a bike?'... 😂😂😂

Phil

RF-S-G-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 250

Actually, I like the original crop. I like seeing the ridgeline with the trees. It doesn't really pull my eyes away from the main subject. But, then, that's just me. I am not normal! Haha! As for the tree on the right, I don't really notice it. I agree with Phil... just do the powerlines and call it a day.

This crop keeps the attention on the tree and the tall grass. Their gentle leaning to the left adds to the dynamics of the frame.
Definitely agree! It's a lovely diagonal line to bridge the gap between the top and bottom of the image, imo.

Apart from that I have to say I was surprised with how much better I like it after the crop! I need to keep reminding myself that it's as much about what you take out, as what you leave in.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back