Song Sparrow? or Savannah Sparrow?

R7_B9729 Savannah Sparrow-Enhanced-NR.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 5000

Very nice photo and a clean background at ISO 5000. How did you process your file?

Nice shot. Good details and background separation, but next time tell the bird to move a few inches to the left ;)

Long tail and stout, dark suggest Song. Savannah has shorter tail and light colored bill. They usually show at least some yellow over the eye, and this bird has none at all.

Very nice photo and a clean background at ISO 5000. How did you process your file?
Thanks, Stephen. The file was cropped to about half the width and hit it with some clarity in Lightroom C, which made the noise more visible. I treated it with Enhance, which I think is the same as AI Denoise. It did a nice job.

Nice shot. Good details and background separation, but next time tell the bird to move a few inches to the left ;)

Long tail and stout, dark suggest Song. Savannah has shorter tail and light colored bill. They usually show at least some yellow over the eye, and this bird has none at all.
Thanks for the ID! As for the positioning, I was able to move to my right a bit which gave more separation between the bird and the twig, but then I was shooting the bird in the back. The bird was nice enough to hang around for several shots, but did not frame itself ideally.

Here is a better pose but the branch is worse. I guess I could clone it out. No noise Enhance on this one.

R7_B9745 Song Sparrow.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 5000

Some birds know how to pose and some don't:). Usually when I see one there are so many tags and leaves in the frame that none of them stand out.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back