Pitcombe

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Robert Nutter
I am looking to purchase an RF 100-500 lens to replace both my EF70-300 F4 -5.6 L and Sigma 150-600 C and wondered what members thought of using the 1,4 tele-converter with the new lens. I enjoy taking wildlife and BIF shots, but the majority of the time the camera is used for landscape, so do you think the extra reach of the of the tele-converter is worth the additional cost, or will I get satisfactory shots from my R6 using just the lens.

It really depends on how much reach you need. With the 20mp sensor of the R6 you are limited on how much you can crop in on post vs. a higher density sensor so the increased optical magnification my be important.

One thing to note with the RF 100-500mm and the extenders - you can ONLY use the extender from 300-500mm, lens will not be able to zoom out all the way.

For me, that could be very limiting, and for that reason I am hanging onto my EF 100-400mm II and 1.4x T/C (for now at least). For more reach, I picked up the RF 800mm f/11 which is an absolute bargain.

I had a chance to shoot the RF 100-500mm last week on my R5 for an aviation shoot. I had all the range I needed compared to my 1DX with an EF 100-400mm. I did also try the RF 1.4 extender on the 100-500mm. Pro's it did give me 700mm, but in all honesty I really didn't need it. I also found the restriction to a minimum 300mm a bother as there were times I needed the 100mm range. Overall, the extender did a good job image wise, just not sure I would spend the money for the additional 200mm. I would almost consider the extra $500 and get the RF 800mm f/11. Just my observation and opinion.

I had a chance to shoot the RF 100-500mm last week on my R5 for an aviation shoot. I had all the range I needed compared to my 1DX with an EF 100-400mm. I did also try the RF 1.4 extender on the 100-500mm. Pro's it did give me 700mm, but in all honesty I really didn't need it. I also found the restriction to a minimum 300mm a bother as there were times I needed the 100mm range. Overall, the extender did a good job image wise, just not sure I would spend the money for the additional 200mm. I would almost consider the extra $500 and get the RF 800mm f/11. Just my observation and opinion.
Many thanks, I have come to the same conclusion and just ordered the lens, maybe if prices for the converters come down in the future I might reconsider, but for now I will go out and enjoy the lens.

Many thanks, I have come to the same conclusion and just ordered the lens, maybe if prices for the converters come down in the future I might reconsider, but for now I will go out and enjoy the lens.
I don't know I think when i get to shoot an airshow i would probably use the crop thats available so i could gain flexibility ... i have the 2X and Ive yet to use it ... just easy to go to crop 1.6 and im done lol

One other feature of the RF 100-500mm lens is that it has quite a close focusing distance. You can shoot shots at 500MM from approx 3 feet away and it looks close to a macro. I have not shot the RF 800mm F11 but it looks good in the reviews. The downside is that you cannot focus closer than about 18 feet or thereabout according to the reviews so you cannot get up-close as with the 100-500mm.

I am looking to purchase an RF 100-500 lens to replace both my EF70-300 F4 -5.6 L and Sigma 150-600 C and wondered what members thought of using the 1,4 tele-converter with the new lens. I enjoy taking wildlife and BIF shots, but the majority of the time the camera is used for landscape, so do you think the extra reach of the of the tele-converter is worth the additional cost, or will I get satisfactory shots from my R6 using just the lens.
For what you describe, you will be happy with the lens w/o the 1.4x tc. Based on y personal experience with lens and tc. Good luck.

I have the RF 100-500mm lens and the 1.4 Extender and I'm very happy with the performance of both in that combo. I have not tried the extender with any other lenses. I have included a 4 shot composite of the moon over the last several days as an example. These were all talked with the extender at 700mm F10 - F13.
4 Moon Shot Smaller.jpg

Why not get a copy multiplier, they are cheap enough used. If you like it then get a Canon one

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back