The "Jenga" Building

dgphoto8

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Don
This is the Boston University Center for Computing & Data Sciences with a convenient late sunset color background. This recently constructed building was built with the intent of conveying a stack of books, but many people have applied the name "Jenga Building" to it, much to the chagrin of the architect. This photo captures the last light of the sun reflected from a couple of the "books" and I brought out the internal lighting using Lightroom.
20230830_4335_NR.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
  • 165.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 8/10 sec
  • ISO 800

The 2nd photo is an interesting LR Classic phenomenon: I took multiple bracketed exposures of the building shots and for the photo below, I tried applying the auto level transform because my brain was having issues telling if the building was level. It's turns out that Lightroom had more problems than me! 😁

20230830_4334.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
  • 165.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 4/10 sec
  • ISO 800

As far as we can guess, Lightroom decided that the diagonal lines of the top two levels and the lower levels represented "straight". We got a good chuckle out of that. Interestingly, it was only this specific photo that triggered this behavior: the first photo did not react this way when auto level was applied.

This is the Boston University Center for Computing & Data Sciences with a convenient late sunset color background. This recently constructed building was built with the intent of conveying a stack of books, but many people have applied the name "Jenga Building" to it, much to the chagrin of the architect. This photo captures the last light of the sun reflected from a couple of the "books" and I brought out the internal lighting using Lightroom.View attachment 19471

The 2nd photo is an interesting LR Classic phenomenon: I took multiple bracketed exposures of the building shots and for the photo below, I tried applying the auto level transform because my brain was having issues telling if the building was level. It's turns out that Lightroom had more problems than me! 😁

View attachment 19472

As far as we can guess, Lightroom decided that the diagonal lines of the top two levels and the lower levels represented "straight". We got a good chuckle out of that. Interestingly, it was only this specific photo that triggered this behavior: the first photo did not react this way when auto level was applied.
Lightroom's auto-transform used to work quite well. But I have noticed lately even in simple cases, it is nowhere as good as it used to be.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back