Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
Got to camp early. There is a tree about 20 yards into the woods that we lean wood up against for the next campers or hopefully our next visit. I was bee-bopping down the path with my head in the clouds to fetch some wood when I happened to glance down and saw about 2 ft of body ending in a rattle laying across the path six ft in front of me. After jumping back and, then, composing myself... I went and got the camera.

We both setup shop and kept each other company for a while until he got bored and moved on down the line.

Attachments

• RattleSnake-2.jpg
    RattleSnake-2.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 65
Did you know snakes yawn? It is much more dramatic with Rattlesnakes. Different location and shaded light. Colors are much different. The previous photo used spot metering and this photo is evaluative.

Attachments

• RattleSnake-3.jpg
    RattleSnake-3.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 57
I have stumbled upon rattle snakes before and it always takes me by surprise. I often worry that one day I won't see it and step into it. I never had a camera handy to get a photo of one. This was a great capture.

I have stumbled upon rattle snakes before and it always takes me by surprise. I often worry that one day I won't see it and step into it. I never had a camera handy to get a photo of one. This was a great capture.
Thank you. It didn't get aggressive or show its rattle. I've run into rattlesnakes several times biking and hiking and never had a problem. You're right though, the key is to see them first. The yawn was really cool to see.

Got to camp early. There is a tree about 20 yards into the woods that we lean wood up against for the next campers or hopefully our next visit. I was bee-bopping down the path with my head in the clouds to fetch some wood when I happened to glance down and saw about 2 ft of body ending in a rattle laying across the path six ft in front of me. After jumping back and, then, composing myself... I went and got the camera.

We both setup shop and kept each other company for a while until he got bored and moved on down the line.
Fabulous image!

I would imagine regaining composure would be the difficult part.

Cheers
Paul

That's a great capture!!! And the yawn! Very cool.
I grew up in the western states and saw a lot of rattlesnakes when I was growing up. I don't miss them AT ALL! Frankly, they scared the heck out of me. We lived way out in the sagebrush hills, and the only time you saw a rattlesnake before you heard it was when they'd be sunning themselves on the dirt road.
Don't have any in Alaska. ;)

I grew up in the western states and saw a lot of rattlesnakes when I was growing up. I don't miss them AT ALL! Frankly, they scared the heck out of me. We lived way out in the sagebrush hills, and the only time you saw a rattlesnake before you heard it was when they'd be sunning themselves on the dirt road.
Haha... yeah, we got other wildlife that can kill us in Alaska! :LOL:

Haha... yeah, we got other wildlife that can kill us in Alaska! :LOL:

I was thinking along the same lines... there is always something out there. I think this is the first rattlesnake that I've seen in a couple of years. It has been a while. The vast majority of times that I've seen a rattlesnake, they've been sunning themselves or on the move. I've only had a couple of times where I heard them first and yes that buzzing puts your heart in your throat. But I appreciate their warning rattle and don't a problem with rattlesnakes. Now, Copperheads... they scare me because you can never see or hear them.

🍻 Here's to not getting bit or 'et by anything!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back