This one needed a bit of post processing!

Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
The DeWitt county courthouse in Cuero, Texas is a beautiful building and unlike a lot of the old courthouses I saw is not shrouded in large live oak trees so it was possible to get a good shot of the front facade. Only problem was it faces west and the sun at 10 in the morning was pretty high up in the east making the front all in shadow.

I shot a hand held burst of 5 exposures roughly a stop apart and then did a HDR merge in Lightroom. When I know I will be doing a lot of adjustments in cropping and straightening verticals I always shoot with plenty of space around the subject. I did my basic adjustments and the cropped and adjusted the vertical plane so the building did not appear to be falling backwards. Using the masking tool I was able to adjust the exposure and white balance of the building and also adjust the sky for a bit of a deeper blue. Here is a before and after:

Attachments

• 2023-046-342 Texas Courthouse trip.jpg
    2023-046-342 Texas Courthouse trip.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 2023-046-341 Texas Courthouse trip-HDR.jpg
    2023-046-341 Texas Courthouse trip-HDR.jpg
    938.4 KB · Views: 49
The DeWitt county courthouse in Cuero, Texas is a beautiful building and unlike a lot of the old courthouses I saw is not shrouded in large live oak trees so it was possible to get a good shot of the front facade. Only problem was it faces west and the sun at 10 in the morning was pretty high up in the east making the front all in shadow.

I shot a hand held burst of 5 exposures roughly a stop apart and then did a HDR merge in Lightroom. When I know I will be doing a lot of adjustments in cropping and straightening verticals I always shoot with plenty of space around the subject. I did my basic adjustments and the cropped and adjusted the vertical plane so the building did not appear to be falling backwards. Using the masking tool I was able to adjust the exposure and white balance of the building and also adjust the sky for a bit of a deeper blue. Here is a before and after:
Nicely handled the problem.

Great job of postprocessing. The colors of the building and sky look true. The correction of the verticals worked pretty good. The only thing is, there seems to be a slight curve to the building especially toward the right.

Very nice, Chris awesome job. Beautiful building to bad they really don’t make them like that any longer.

Color and exposure adjustments worked well.

To my eyes the building appears to tilt slightly to the left. The vertical lines seem to be ok, but the horizontal lines are off a bit. Maybe rotate it just enough to split the difference. But it's also possible that my eye are off.

Nice work Chris and hand held too. The HDR came out really well. Great image.

Really nicely done Chris, think you have managed to keep the processing close to 'as is' as possible.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back