out of focus

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Johnny
From Canon's website, I've downloaded the most recent firmware (version 1.0.8) for the RF 24-70mm lens and have extracted the files, but each time that I've tried it, I get a message stating that Adobe Acrobat Reader can't open the .afu file.
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and if there's a way around the problem.

The .afu is not an Acrobat file.

The method I use is:

Format the memory card.
Relocate the RF023108.auf file to the root directory of the memory card.
Mount the lens.
Set the camera mode to M (Manual)
Go in the menu and update the firmware.

After it has finished:

Double check the firmware version.
Turn the camera off.
Remove the battery.
Wait 10 seconds before reinserting the battery and turning back on.
Format the memory card.

Thank you for your reply, Dean. That's why I'm confused as to why I get the message that I do regarding Acrobat. After I downloaded the most recent version of the firmware, I'm given no option to open the .auf file any other way, and I've tried downloading it on multiple occasions, all with the same result.

The .auf file is NOT MEANT to be opened.

In the zip file you downloaded from Canon there is a File "RF023108.afu" and a Folder "update-procedures-pdf".

Open the Folder called "update-procedures-pdf". In that folder is a file called "lens-firmwareupdate-en.pdf"

Open the "lens-firmwareupdate-en.pdf" file and beginning on page 2 are the complete instructions.

I had read the instructions that were downloaded, and I never had this issue when I updated the firmware for the camera body, but the problem in trying to update the firmware for the lens lies with what gets downloaded.
All that gets downloaded is the following, and I can't seem to do anything with the RF023108.afu so that it's not identified as a .pdf:
Problem with Firmware Update for Lens.jpg

Attachments

• Problem with Firmware Update for Lens.jpg
    Problem with Firmware Update for Lens.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 66
It appears that you have the software file "associated with" Adobe.

Give me a couple minutes...

UPDATE:

The ONLY way I have discovered how to disassociate the .afu file is to uninstall Adobe Reader. I have tried various techniques, but this is the only way I have discovered yet that works.

There are many Readers that can open .pdf files. The one I use is Foxit PDF Reader (Free)

Thank you for your message, Dean. I think that I might end up having to uninstall it since I've also been unable to find a way to update the firmware.

Remember. If you install Acrobat Reader in the future the .afu files will still be associated with it.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back