Stompthestroller

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Stephen Thompson
Hi have just purchased the 10-18mm RF lens to use with my R7.
Initial thoughts are it’s acceptable for close up photography but so far not as sharp when shooting landscapes. I think I will have to shoot these using the Focus Bracketing software. Has anyone used this on the R7 for landscape photography successfully?

Attachments

• 6V0A9759.jpeg
    6V0A9759.jpeg
    636.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 6V0A9360.jpeg
    6V0A9360.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 6V0A9319.jpeg
    6V0A9319.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 6V0A9248.jpeg
    6V0A9248.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 6V0A9302.jpeg
    6V0A9302.jpeg
    973.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 6V0A9762.jpeg
    6V0A9762.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 40
Hi, Stephen! The pics look good here on my computer, at least as far as I can tell. I would suggest taking some more landscape shots to assess performance. 9302 shows flare from the sky, and 9762 might be suffering from haze due to distance, and neither of those effects are the lens's fault. Maybe try some shots with main subjects a bit closer in good light and see how they look.

Your mentioning Focus Bracketing suggests you need more depth of field. DOF is due to optics and is something that all lenses have in common. It is definitely something worth trying, but won't compensate for flare or haze.

Thanks for sharing! The 10-18mm looks like an interesting lens.

Bryan Carnathan (the-digital-picture) has a review of that lens. Seems pretty good, optically. Very sharp in the center, less so around the edges but that's not unusual for UWA. Has distortion and CA but that will get fixed in DPP. I will probably buy one.

Hi, Stephen! The pics look good here on my computer, at least as far as I can tell. I would suggest taking some more landscape shots to assess performance. 9302 shows flare from the sky, and 9762 might be suffering from haze due to distance, and neither of those effects are the lens's fault. Maybe try some shots with main subjects a bit closer in good light and see how they look.

Your mentioning Focus Bracketing suggests you need more depth of field. DOF is due to optics and is something that all lenses have in common. It is definitely something worth trying, but won't compensate for flare or haze.

Thanks for sharing! The 10-18mm looks like an interesting lens.
Hi Ed, thank you for your comments I will continue to play with the lens. I did not know what to expect performance wise. At its price size and weight it seemed a good option to put in my rucksack when on holiday out walking for the occasional landscape shot. Where I live is very featureless so it will not get a great use locally.

Bryan Carnathan (the-digital-picture) has a review of that lens. Seems pretty good, optically. Very sharp in the center, less so around the edges but that's not unusual for UWA. Has distortion and CA but that will get fixed in DPP. I will probably buy one.
Hi Anton, thanks for the comment I will definitely look at that review.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back