Very disappointed with R8 Manual, any suggestion?

Zorg

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
M. Leferfort
Hi

Well, it has been 10 years I bought the Canon 7D, but the manual was extremely usefull ... 291 pages split in 14 chapter, a real reference I kept along the years.

Now, I open the R8 box, quite woried about the thin manual (about ×3 times less than the 7D) ... to discover it is in 5 languages !!!
It is only 24 pages !!

What happen?
Ok, this seems to be the "light" guide ... The "advanced" one is about 1000 pages ... in pdf or html.

Well, I'd prefer to have a paper version to read it anywhere without the need to have a phone, network, power etc.
Does anyone know a way to buy the paper version or could reference a great reference book available somewhere?

Thanks

Last edited:
I download the pdf to my phone and it is available anywhere. No need for a network. There should be a QR Code in your papers that came with it that will take you right to the PDF.

I know it’s not the same as a book. But no network needed once it’s saved to your phone.

I don’t know if you even can order a paper version anymore.

The versions at cam.start.canon get updated with each firmware change, which I appreciate a lot more than a pound worth of dead tree slices in the box.

The downside of the html version is that Canon doesn't want it to look and feel like a digital version, so cross references are very clunky. For example the focus breathing correction section tells you to go to the website (already on it!) for the list of supported lenses and the provided link doesn't go relevant section, but to the generic page. So you have to click 4 more times to get to the section you want. Just provide a direct link! Or better, integrate it into the manual proper. That doesn't even need a fancy automated system, it only needs an intern to copy/paste things when an update happens, which isn't very often.

Hi
Yes, I can't argue against that, but there is some times when you do not have anything and a book is the simpliest thing you need.
But looking at the book of the 7D (293p), I agree a 1000p book would be quite big.
Thanks

Yep. The era of paper manuals is over.
If you absolutely need paper, you can print it; will probably cost around $20 in paper?
The benefit of downloading the PDF to your phone is that you can reference it at any time if a question arises while you're out shooting somewhere. And it's searchable!

One of the first things I do when purchasing a new Canon camera, is to order a printed version of the Advanced Manual from EOS Magazine Shop:

It doesn't look like they have it ready for R8 yet, but probably wont be long.

It is A5 prints with spiral back. So not as compact as in the good old days, and probably too big to carry all time in the camera bag. But if you like I prefer to study a printed manual, it might be a good investment.
(Could probably also be printed from pdf by other shops).

Can you imagine a printed version for the R5?

Print one for firmware version 1.3.1 and wait 4 months then print 1.4.0.
Then 4 months pass and it's December 2021 and you get a new manual 1.5.0 for Christmas.
Luckily you don't have to wait as long for 1.5.1 and you get a new manual for Valentines Day.
Then in time for St. Patrick's Day 2002 you get a 1.5.2 manual
July. It's time for a new manual for the new features in the 1.6.0 firmware.
In time for Christmas 2022 you get a NEW Manual for firmware 1.7.0 and you are so excited...but wondering what you are suppose to do with the previous 5 manuals!??!

Finally it March 2023 and you are happy because you can finally print the very last manual to reflect the final firmware version!

Of course you are hearing rumors of version 2.0.x being released before the end of the year.
Don't forget to print all the manuals for your lenses while your at it!

>Typed with humor<

Print one for firmware version 1.3.1 and wait 4 months then print 1.4.0.
Then 4 months pass and it's December 2021 and you get a new manual 1.5.0 for Christmas.
Luckily you don't have to wait as long for 1.5.1 and you get a new manual for Valentines Day.
Then in time for St. Patrick's Day 2002 you get a 1.5.2 manual
July. It's time for a new manual for the new features in the 1.6.0 firmware.
In time for Christmas 2022 you get a NEW Manual for firmware 1.7.0 and you are so excited...but wondering what you are suppose to do with the previous 5 manuals!??!
Getting an early print and just keeping up with updates, works fine for me. Eventually I can make notes in the print if there's anything important to add from a newer firmware.
But okay, you are also writing ...
>Typed with humor<

:) /Stig

I like a paper manual for some uses. I use a printing and binding service that charges a modest fee:

They have printed and nicely bound EOS R8 manual for $26.95. They have all the Canon manuals. They are printed custom from your order.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back