Why is the slightly over exposed blown out look popular?

JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
Why is this look so popular? I see a lot of photographers, especially wedding photographers showing off very bright, sometimes close to blown out images on social media. Most have some type of misty LUT or something over them. Why is this look so popular?

The high key look has been around a long time. People who don't know will take what you give them and love it. So when someone came up with it when it was different the filter world produced it ad nauseum and everyone bought it and made everyone wanted it. Not judging, just the way the world works.

High Key and Low Key are methods for covering up bad exposures.

Of course, when intentionally done is a different story.

Here is a photo of the Groom from a recent wedding I shot.

4P9A1461.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1.3 sec
  • ISO 100

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back