Winter sports photography - suggestions for gloves

tbar23

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Trevor
Hi all - the New England ski season is upon us, and I’m planning to take my EOS R7 and relatively recently acquired RF100-500 to the mountains to photograph my son’s Freeski events. I started researching photography gloves and see options ranging from relatively inexpensive like the Palmyth convertible mitten and Pygtech glove to more expensive options like Valleret’s Tinden plus liners.
Does anyone have some real world experience with winter photography and have glove recommendations?

I actually use the Vallerret Markhof Pro V3 if it’s not too cold (should be fine for the ski hill), but for extended shoots I use the Vallerret Skadi Zipper Mitt PSP. Use them for photography only. Would I use them for skiing? Nope. Gloves for photography only.

-6°C (20°F) or above I wear these from Cabelas. The thumb and pointer finger fold back. If my hands get cold with them on I put a pair of cheap gloves over top until they come off for picture taking. Anything colder than -6 I usually wear the wool mitts that the fingers fold back. If my hands get cold with them on I go back to truck and warm up or go home 🤓.
63C1E175-0554-4C29-B0BA-CC02E43288F7.jpeg
  • iPhone 13
  • iPhone 13 back dual wide camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 1000
D14BBD26-90CD-4388-8D87-6CEAB3E7010F.jpeg
  • iPhone 13
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 1000
A851F07B-9AC6-4FF2-87E3-44A999B238A0.jpeg
  • iPhone 13
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 640

I always have cold hands so I will look into these. Here's to hoping they have some in a small enough size for my puny little paws.

These are great ideas. I've used a pair of polar fleece gloves which don't offer much in insulation or tactile feel, so those Glacier Gloves from Cabelas look like a perfect choice.

These are great ideas. I've used a pair of polar fleece gloves which don't offer much in insulation or tactile feel, so those Glacier Gloves from Cabelas look like a perfect choice.
I found them in the ice fishing section of Cabelas' here. They had other styles but these were not as expensive as the others.

Thanks, I'll check there.

I use military pilots gloves (green nomex with gray ostrich leather) and then when it gets really cold I put gore windstopper fingerless gloves or convertible mittens over that. Works for Minnesota winters and you still keep button dexterity.

Hi all - the New England ski season is upon us, and I’m planning to take my EOS R7 and relatively recently acquired RF100-500 to the mountains to photograph my son’s Freeski events. I started researching photography gloves and see options ranging from relatively inexpensive like the Palmyth convertible mitten and Pygtech glove to more expensive options like Valleret’s Tinden plus liners.
Does anyone have some real world experience with winter photography and have glove recommendations?
For really cold weather I use Outdoor Research extra warm mittens with liners. When shooting I remove the outer mittens letting them hang from the built-in lanyard. the inner lining mitten has enough flexibility for me to operate the camera. Still warm enough for time outside the extra warm outter mittens. If it is really, really cold temps chemical hand warmers inside the inner mitts help a lot. Used these in Churchill Manitoba for polar bear photography in terribly cold weather and worked fine

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back