Yellowjacket looking at you.

R7_B7633 Yellowjacket.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 160

Excellent work! Handheld? Focus Stacked?
A single shot, handheld, and a live subject. Here is the same bug but in profile. Diffused flash in both shots.

R7_B7630 Yellowjacket.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 160

Lighting looks good on these Ed. Would you mind describing your flash setup?

Lighting looks good on these Ed. Would you mind describing your flash setup?
I use an on-camera Canon speedlite firing into a fan-shaped diffuser attached to the end of the lens. The diffuser was from some stationery product at Staples - called a portfolio or something. But many translucent plastic materials will work. I have a snoot extending from the flash head to the edge of the diffuser. It is made of resin-coated paper (old color print) so it can take some rain, and it has aluminum foil glued to the inside. It boosts light by about a stop, plus it also gives the whole setup stability so it doesn't blow away in a little breeze.

Here is a photo of the rig from a few years back. It hasn't changed much (but I did add some velcro for convenience).

SL_04515 Diffuser and snoot.jpg
  • Canon EOS REBEL SL1
  • EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
  • 33.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 200

There are lots of ways to configure diffusers. I have different rigs for the MPE65, and also twin diffusers for the Godox M12 flashes. Basically, just use a reasonable translucent sheet. It doesn't have to be special. Even writing paper will work. The denser it is, the better it diffuses and the softer the light, but the more light you lose. So don't overdo it. And try to get the diffuser fairly far forward without going past the focal plane. That helps to illuminate the subject well without bumping into your subject or stuff around it.

I use an on-camera Canon speedlite firing into a fan-shaped diffuser attached to the end of the lens. The diffuser was from some stationery product at Staples - called a portfolio or something. But many translucent plastic materials will work. I have a snoot extending from the flash head to the edge of the diffuser. It is made of resin-coated paper (old color print) so it can take some rain, and it has aluminum foil glued to the inside. It boosts light by about a stop, plus it also gives the whole setup stability so it doesn't blow away in a little breeze.

Here is a photo of the rig from a few years back. It hasn't changed much (but I did add some velcro for convenience).

View attachment 21309

There are lots of ways to configure diffusers. I have different rigs for the MPE65, and also twin diffusers for the Godox M12 flashes. Basically, just use a reasonable translucent sheet. It doesn't have to be special. Even writing paper will work. The denser it is, the better it diffuses and the softer the light, but the more light you lose. So don't overdo it. And try to get the diffuser fairly far forward without going past the focal plane. That helps to illuminate the subject well without bumping into your subject or stuff around it.
Thanks. I’ll give something like that a try. I’ve got all winter to figure something out. I mostly use available light, but I live at 4,700 feet and the sun up here can give worse highlights than a bare flash. I’ve also played around with a Rogue Flashbender. Easy to set up and works well for the bugs with a matte finish, but not enough actual diffusion for the glossy ones.

Thanks. I’ll give something like that a try. I’ve got all winter to figure something out. I mostly use available light, but I live at 4,700 feet and the sun up here can give worse highlights than a bare flash. I’ve also played around with a Rogue Flashbender. Easy to set up and works well for the bugs with a matte finish, but not enough actual diffusion for the glossy ones.
A fierce sun like that can give problems, because the flash usually is not going to overpower it. So if the subject is sunlit, you will have double highlights, one from the sun and one from the flash. The best is to use your body to cast a shadow over the subject if you can. Often, though, double highlights are OK. Keep the shutter speed as short as possible to minimize ghosting.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back