3rd Party lens coming.

It's also interesting that there are deals for Sigma EF lenses right now (and they just announced some Nikon Z mounts). Could this be a sign that Sigma RF lenses are coming soon?

It's also interesting that there are deals for Sigma EF lenses right now (and they just announced some Nikon Z mounts). Could this be a sign that Sigma RF lenses are coming soon?
I hope so. I have owned Sigma (and Tamron) lenses, along with Canon, for the last 25 years. I would like to continue that tradition without an adapter. But, for now, I am happy to enjoy my lenses with the adapter.

All the announced third party RF lenses are manual focus, so don't infringe on the RF patent.

If there were to be any 3rd party autofocus RF mount lenses, I think Canon would follow Nikon and only allow those that didn’t compete with lenses in Canon’s line-up. Since Canon really doesn’t share their roadmap like Nikon and others do (not that I could find), we have no idea what those could possibly be. Personally, with all the patents Canon has filed, I think they are still working out which they are going to produce, which is why I believe they pushed entertaining 3rd party licensing out a few years when they made their statement banning 3rd party AF lenses for RF mount last year.

:unsure:
(Machine Translation) Tetsuji Kiyomi: It is true that we are approached by many third-party manufacturers. We hear their demands. However, we have no direction or policy as such on this subject. Naturally, I cannot share more details with you, but what I can say is that if this aligns with our strategy, we will take the necessary action on a case-by-case basis. I can't tell you more.

:unsure:
(Machine Translation) Tetsuji Kiyomi: It is true that we are approached by many third-party manufacturers. We hear their demands. However, we have no direction or policy as such on this subject. Naturally, I cannot share more details with you, but what I can say is that if this aligns with our strategy, we will take the necessary action on a case-by-case basis. I can't tell you more.

This has always been about patent infringement. Not an outright ban. Lots of misinformation floating about on Canon’s intentions with respect to third party manufacturers. I think the comment above supports that. I’ve mentioned elsewhere knowing DSLR shooters abandoning their EF set ups for Nikon DSLR’s because they think their older Sigma glass won’t work on their DSLR due to this “policy”.

So it goes. The internet is a great resource to get information to a broad audience quickly. This is, of course, good and bad.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back