Will we see an L Series or 3rd Party Pro Level Super Zoom?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
Any chance we could see an L series 24-240 or similar zoom range from Canon or a 3rd party in the near or distant future? A zoom in that range with a constant aperture or minimally variable aperture with L level elements, coatings, motor, and weather sealing would be nice.

Any chance we could see an L series 24-240 or similar zoom range from Canon or a 3rd party in the near or distant future? A zoom in that range with a constant aperture or minimally variable aperture with L level elements, coatings, motor, and weather sealing would be nice.
And very big, very heavy, and very expensive. (unless it was a F/9 or greater.) The Object lens at bigger apertures would be huge. Look at the upcoming 200-800. My MZ 150-400 f/4.5 is nearly twice as heavy as my RF 100-500 and has a 95mm Object lens.

I think if it was kept between 200 and 300 at the long end at 5.6 it would be manageable. A Canon L lens probably would be very expensive, but a Sigma or Tamron lens would probably be around $2,500.

I think if it was kept between 200 and 300 at the long end at 5.6 it would be manageable. A Canon L lens probably would be very expensive, but a Sigma or Tamron lens would probably be around $2,500.
If a Tamron or Sigma, it wouldn't be an L lens. Part of the L benefits is the dual Nano motors and weather sealing. The Siggys and Tamrons I have had in the past were never as fast (AF) or as edge to edge sharp or as weather proof as my Ls. YMMV

Canon is pushing the zoom/aperture balance lately, so it's possible they could improve on the 24-105 f/4. But keeping in line with recent improvements (as seen in the 28-70/2, 100-300/2.8, and 24-105/2.8) something like a 28-150/4 could be in reach. I don't think they would put a lot of development into a zoom like that that was slower than f/4; they'd exclude too much of the L market.

I want to think they could recreate the EF-S55-250 as an RF-S lens, but if the past is any indication it would be a half stop slower than the EF-S version was. :(

Canon is definitely relying on processing with their RF-S and RF zooms.

That being said I could probably shoot an entire hockey game at ISO25,600, run it through LR and the images would look just fine…

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back