Followers
Following
Name
Dean Wilson
City/State
Canby, Oregon
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am trying to force myself into attempting portraits. Only for personal use....nothing For Sale.

I thought I would start of with something simple, like Rembrandt Lighting.

It can be difficult as the photographer and being the model when you cannot see when you cannot see the composition. I think I should have lowered my chin just a bit. I wear glasses so if I have that far away look....that explains it.

Best Selfie.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 86.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/10 sec
  • ISO 100

and my Professional setup:

20231020_100414.jpg
  • SM-G892U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.7
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 250

Nice try. I think for Rembrandt lighting, you need a little triangle of light under your left eye, on the opposite side of the light. The light may need to go up a little and come forward a tad.

You have the shadow exposed well on the side of your face. In one of Syl Arena's books he said that shadows are more difficult but more important that highlights. It is what gives you the 3D look as opposed to direct flash, which produces a good image, but typically flat.

Decent book if you are getting into flash.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back