Following
Name
Ferenc Mógor
City/State
Budapest, Hungary
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hello to All,

Just came across this article that nicely summarizes the difference between RF and RF-S lenses we ever wanted to know but never asked.

E.g., in my case with a Canon EOS R6 mk1 I should never buy an RF-S lens coz this camera will automatically set resolution to 1.6x crop, or in other words it will drop from 20 MPxl to 7.7 MPxl.

A good read, indeed. Enjoy!

https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/eng/whats-the-difference-between-rf-s-and-rf-lenses

Hello to All,

Just came across this article that nicely summarizes the difference between RF and RF-S lenses we ever wanted to know but never asked.

E.g., in my case with a Canon EOS R6 mk1 I should never buy an RF-S lens coz this camera will automatically set resolution to 1.6x crop, or in other words it will drop from 20 MPxl to 7.7 MPxl.

A good read, indeed. Enjoy!

https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/article/eng/whats-the-difference-between-rf-s-and-rf-lenses
Ferenc, it appears the R5 does the same although I have a lot more MP's to play with.(45 down to 17 I believe, so not so bad). But at least I can still use my EF-S lenses.

The way the cameras behave is fine with me. If they didn't go into crop mode, you would have a messy-looking dark area outside the coverage area of the lens. You could crop that in post of course, but with the camera doing it for you, you have a more representative view in the viewfinder when shooting. Either way, the megapx in the cropped image are the same.

7.7 mpx isn't bad! I often crop harder than that. If you need more mpx with those crop-frame lenses, use a crop-frame body.

I think the loss is massiv, but when the lense us there?? Mainly the RF-S are for the APS-C sensors while the RF is for full format. That makes the crop.

I think if one is making the choice between using a crop-sensor lens on a full-frame body to get a shot or just not taking the photo, just use the lens with the resultant image resolution penalty 100% of the time. Any photo you take with even the most compromised gear is still better than no photo at all. My first digital camera was a hand-me-down 1.3mp point and shoot, and I treasure a lot of the images I took with it to this day. The 24mp I work with now continues to feel like a luxury.

I wouldn't recommend buying an RF-S lens if you've paid the premium for a full frame camera (or an EF-S or DX or whatever for whichever brand is in question, now or in the past) but if one were to have such a lens at their disposal already, totally just use it!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back