PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our visit (in July, 2021) to Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, England.

Photography is not permitted inside the Castle itself as the family still live here (a great pity as it is absolutely jaw-droppingly stunning).

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PhotoLab Elite/ ViewPoint, Adobe Lightroom Classic/ Photoshop with Tony Kuyper TK-9 Panels).

You can find out more about Alnwick Castle by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. Alnwick Castle began as fortification, built in about 1096 by Ivo de Vesci, Baron of Alnwick, to guard a road crossing of the River Aln.

RF-S-Aln-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 30.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

2. The castle was first mentioned in 1136 when it was captured by King David I of Scotland.

RF-S-Aln-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 100

3. After the death of John de Vesci, the titles and estates were - eventually - sold to the Percys, who began to rebuild and extend what was at that time a modest castle. The ensuing construction turned Alnwick into a major fortress on the Anglo-Scottish border.

RF-S-Aln-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 81.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 400

4. Alnwick is now the second largest inhabited castle in the United Kingdom (after Windsor Castle) and houses several small museums, including the Fusiliers Museum of Northumberland.

RF-S-Aln-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 320

5. Ralph Percy, 12th Duke Northumberland, and his family still reside here - though they only occupy a part of the castle. Jane Percy, Duchess of Northumberland, initiated the adjacent Alnwick Garden (images of which will feature in a separate post).

RF-S-Aln-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 53.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 2500

6. Alnwick Castle has been used as a location for many TV and movie projects such as ‘Downton Abbey’ and it was Hogwarts in ‘Harry Potter and the …Philosopher’s Stone/ …Chamber of Secrets’.

RF-S-Aln-6b.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 320

(Sources: Alnwick Castle, Wikipedia).

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back