Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
Having been on an upgrade cycle of 7 to 8 years, I confess that I am likely to purchase an R5 Mark II on introduction after having my R5 for a year and half. That'll be two firsts for me: upgrading after only 1 1/2 years, and buying a camera at intro. Of course, this is depending on an actual release and the final specifications of the camera.

I love my R5 and plan to keep it as a second body. There are a couple of features though that just keep tugging me down the road to upgrade:
  1. Pre-buffer shooting. I always miss birds launching by a hair and would like to take photos of lightning. In sports, I have a good sense for the moment of the action, this can only help.
  2. Auto-focus improvements, especially QPAF and low light AF. The R5 is fantastic, but it does hunt in low light and improvements in the R6 II and R8 AF have been lauded. I admit, this is a weakness of mine and I can use all the help that I can get.
  3. Increased resolution/size of viewfinder and display. My eyes just ain't what they used to be. My unicorn is the articulating viewfinder.
  4. Multi-function hot shoe. My old flashes suffice, but the incompatibility moving forward is frustrating.
  5. Stacked sensor... dynamic range... improved low light image quality. No complaints in my R5, but can you imagine it being better!

I'd like to know what other folks think about the Mark II... should the February announcement actually occur. I think it will. What features do or don't matter to you?

I’ve not long sold my R5 bodies will they were still worth something pre upgrade. I didn’t really gel with the R5 mostly because I was plagued with the locking/freezing issues. (now fixed with the latest firmware upgrade) Canon had a look and insinuated it was user error which compounded my poor experience with the R5. The EVF lets it down also especially with fast action photography where some lag is noticeable. The small buffer when shooting RAW was also restrictive on occasion.

I did intend holding on for the R5ii though potentially a price increase might put it above the cost of a grey import R3. Also would the improvements really address my concerns and improve my confidence in the camera. I am tempted to go for the R3 as it would address the issues experienced with the R5. The R3 also had freezing issues which seems to have been sorted with firmware upgrades. The only downside is the drop in pixels as I do crop extensively on occasion. So in a nutshell I’m on the fence regarding R5ii or R3 and will see how things pan out with the final spec before deciding.

I’ve not long sold my R5 bodies will they were still worth something pre upgrade. I didn’t really gel with the R5 mostly because I was plagued with the locking/freezing issues. (now fixed with the latest firmware upgrade) Canon had a look and insinuated it was user error which compounded my poor experience with the R5. The EVF lets it down also especially with fast action photography where some lag is noticeable. The small buffer when shooting RAW was also restrictive on occasion.

I did intend holding on for the R5ii though potentially a price increase might put it above the cost of a grey import R3. Also would the improvements really address my concerns and improve my confidence in the camera. I am tempted to go for the R3 as it would address the issues experienced with the R5. The R3 also had freezing issues which seems to have been sorted with firmware upgrades. The only downside is the drop in pixels as I do crop extensively on occasion. So in a nutshell I’m on the fence regarding R5ii or R3 and will see how things pan out with the final spec before deciding.
The R3 is available right now, the R5II is still a few months away from shipping and you'll have to get lucky with the preorders, I expect demand will vastly outstrip supply for most of 2024.

The R3 is available right now, the R5II is still a few months away from shipping and you'll have to get lucky with the preorders, I expect demand will vastly outstrip supply for most of 2024.
Not in a rush, got my hands full currently building a house. Hoping to follow some motorsport in Europe next year so the aim is to hopefully be sorted for that.

The trade in price for my R5 has gone up where I work by £500 since I last looked. I think I might just sell it, pocket the money and use my R8 until I can get an R5 ii as, unlike in previous times, I do believe we are soon to see it appear.

I’ve also just bought a 24-240 which I only intended for the R8 so the R5 wouldn’t be getting much use. It is fairly much mint so I will get a good price.

The trade in price for my R5 has gone up where I work by £500 since I last looked. I think I might just sell it, pocket the money and use my R8 until I can get an R5 ii as, unlike in previous times, I do believe we are soon to see it appear.

I’ve also just bought a 24-240 which I only intended for the R8 so the R5 wouldn’t be getting much use. It is fairly much mint so I will get a good price.
I sold two R5 bodies for £2k each. Trade in gone up £300 each since. Hindsight etc.. Sounds like a good deal, snap it up while you got the chance.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back