Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
Having been on an upgrade cycle of 7 to 8 years, I confess that I am likely to purchase an R5 Mark II on introduction after having my R5 for a year and half. That'll be two firsts for me: upgrading after only 1 1/2 years, and buying a camera at intro. Of course, this is depending on an actual release and the final specifications of the camera.

I love my R5 and plan to keep it as a second body. There are a couple of features though that just keep tugging me down the road to upgrade:
  1. Pre-buffer shooting. I always miss birds launching by a hair and would like to take photos of lightning. In sports, I have a good sense for the moment of the action, this can only help.
  2. Auto-focus improvements, especially QPAF and low light AF. The R5 is fantastic, but it does hunt in low light and improvements in the R6 II and R8 AF have been lauded. I admit, this is a weakness of mine and I can use all the help that I can get.
  3. Increased resolution/size of viewfinder and display. My eyes just ain't what they used to be. My unicorn is the articulating viewfinder.
  4. Multi-function hot shoe. My old flashes suffice, but the incompatibility moving forward is frustrating.
  5. Stacked sensor... dynamic range... improved low light image quality. No complaints in my R5, but can you imagine it being better!

I'd like to know what other folks think about the Mark II... should the February announcement actually occur. I think it will. What features do or don't matter to you?

Latest rumor has it that the R1 may come out before the R5 MkII. Could be a bit of a wait for the R52.

Latest rumor has it that the R1 may come out before the R5 MkII. Could be a bit of a wait for the R52.
Saw the same. I'm not holding my breath for the R5 mk ii official announcement. I'm somewhat hopeful it will be announced in Feb though and the sooner the better for me to make budget decisions. If not announced I'll be mildly disappointment, but really not a big deal. At the least, I figure that Canon will feed the rumor mills for CES and CP+.

Is a refine of rumor really better information? :)

With Nikon dropping the Z8, Sony the A7RV, I can’t see how Canon can wait much longer to drop the R5-II. I can’t see consumers deciding in favor of an almost 4 year old camera over a 4 month old camera. Canon knows this. I’m hoping to have an R5 II announcement in the next few months.

With Nikon dropping the Z8, Sony the A7RV, I can’t see how Canon can wait much longer to drop the R5-II. I can’t see consumers deciding in favor of an almost 4 year old camera over a 4 month old camera. Canon knows this. I’m hoping to have an R5 II announcement in the next few months.
I agree. The R5 II definitely needs to be released by the end of 2024.

I am so happy with my R5 that I'm not really clamoring for the R5ii. I'm sure it will have more capabilities, but for what I shoot (60% landscapes, 20% Night sky and 20% wildlife and birds in flight), the R5 is doing the job for me. If and when I do upgrade it won't be right away.

I keep wondering whether to sell my R5 and just keep my R8, let alone all the chat re an R5 II ... !!! No pro jobs. No need for a second card slot. IBIS I am not convinced it a must have for me ... and size (small) is a thing for me ... Yes, small is good ladies ! lol ... I love cropping though and theR5 is great for that. The R8 is great though and I want to pick that up more for weight than anything else. I have a good selection of RF lenses.

I keep wondering whether to sell my R5 and just keep my R8, let alone all the chat re an R5 II ... !!! No pro jobs. No need for a second card slot. IBIS I am not convinced it a must have for me ... and size (small) is a thing for me ... Yes, small is good ladies ! lol ... I love cropping though and theR5 is great for that. The R8 is great though and I want to pick that up more for weight than anything else. I have a good selection of RF lenses.
Not a pro either and I understand your preference leaning toward the lighter camera. I don't know much about the R8. I upgraded from a 7D to the R5 and I've been extremely pleased. Being a clumsy oaf who pretends to photograph birds, I rely on the 45MP... probably too much. Comes in handy for sports too. For me, I think the R5 hits the sweet spot and I find that my lens is the biggest factor in weight.

I can't give you any advice on whether or not to sell your R5, only you can decide that. But, I truly hope that whatever you decide, it works out great for you.

To the OP:
I have the R5, but also the OM-1. The QPAF and the BSI stacked sensor are winners.
Hope the R5MkII goes that way. More important to me than a Mp bump.

CR is now thinking the 5.2 is coming before the R1, maybe soon -
and I just bought a R5. It will replace one of my R7s with the 70-200 f4 for twilight wildlife.
Hoping the R5 doesn't struggle as much with AF in the low light conditions.
Amazon has 10% cash back with prime card.

To the OP:
I have the R5, but also the OM-1. The QPAF and the BSI stacked sensor are winners.
Hope the R5MkII goes that way. More important to me than a Mp bump.
Same on the MP bump. I'm not criticizing the R5's auto-focus. I came from the 7D and I thought its auto-focus was great. But, I can use all the help I can get from the AF system. The feature at the top of my list is pre-buffer shooting (or whatever you want to call it). That and perhaps even better low-light AF and noise performance.

I've read about stacked sensors, but still don't have a fundamental understanding of what they improve. Is it just frame rate? Would like to hear your take considering you have both the RF and the OM-1.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back