Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
Having been on an upgrade cycle of 7 to 8 years, I confess that I am likely to purchase an R5 Mark II on introduction after having my R5 for a year and half. That'll be two firsts for me: upgrading after only 1 1/2 years, and buying a camera at intro. Of course, this is depending on an actual release and the final specifications of the camera.

I love my R5 and plan to keep it as a second body. There are a couple of features though that just keep tugging me down the road to upgrade:
  1. Pre-buffer shooting. I always miss birds launching by a hair and would like to take photos of lightning. In sports, I have a good sense for the moment of the action, this can only help.
  2. Auto-focus improvements, especially QPAF and low light AF. The R5 is fantastic, but it does hunt in low light and improvements in the R6 II and R8 AF have been lauded. I admit, this is a weakness of mine and I can use all the help that I can get.
  3. Increased resolution/size of viewfinder and display. My eyes just ain't what they used to be. My unicorn is the articulating viewfinder.
  4. Multi-function hot shoe. My old flashes suffice, but the incompatibility moving forward is frustrating.
  5. Stacked sensor... dynamic range... improved low light image quality. No complaints in my R5, but can you imagine it being better!

I'd like to know what other folks think about the Mark II... should the February announcement actually occur. I think it will. What features do or don't matter to you?

Indications are an R5 ii is likely to be announced in about 6 weeks ....[...]
There will likely be a 2-3 month gap between the announcement and the first batch getting delivered to customers, so don't get your hopes up too much!

Aiming to get the new R5 II and will order when announced. How long it will take to get is anybodies guess though.

Always puzzles me why announcement and delivery dont coincide. Seems dumb to me

The most positive explanation I can think of is to use the pre-orders for fune-tuning the allocations, e.g. send 50% to the US, 30% to the EU, etc. The more likely explanation is that marketing likes seeing the anticipation and buzz.

Drip feeding 'rumours' of spec etc .... like the Fujifilm X100 VI ... rumour of it coming out was right. Name was not X100 Z but VI as the rumour people hadn't understood Fuji's numbering system. The full spec was leaked very obviously maybe a month before. Canon do the same. They test the water, leak a few goodies and then the full spec nearer the time. All part of their marketing strategy I guess. The Pro's who get to try it out prior to release and those in the 'know' who sign to promise they won't say a word aren't always subtle either.

It's all good fun for us I guess.

I'm fine with my R5 as it is, except that its features are different-enough from the R7 to cause confusion. Maybe the R5 II will be more like the R7. That would be a benefit. The other issue for me is that, since getting the high-mpx R7 and almost always shooting reach-limited, I have a lot less use for FF than for crop. So, not sure I will upgrade. What I really need is an R7 II - but that is likely years away.
I hope not!! I'm counting on at least a facelift version sorting out t he R7 major issues which are bigger than any in the rest of their line up.

I hope not!! I'm counting on at least a facelift version sorting out t he R7 major issues which are bigger than any in the rest of their line up.
If they dump the third wheel and make it like the R7 I won't buy it. I sold my R7 due to its poor AF compared to my R5 and my OM-1

If they dump the third wheel and make it like the R7 I won't buy it. I sold my R7 due to its poor AF compared to my R5 and my OM-1
I also like the layout of the R5 and I'm hoping for a very similar - if not same - layout on the R5 II. The touch-button would be an addition that I'm interested in trying.

I think that the ship has already sailed for Canon consolidating button/wheel layout across camera models. If Canon wanted to do that, then it should have implemented a consistent button/wheel layout at the introduction of the R Series. It seems most awkward for folks with the Mk I and Mk II of a model to switch between significant difference in controls, especially if both cameras are often used on shoots.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back