Anyone shot Pop Warner Football with an 85mm?

JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
I haven’t purchased any focal lengths longer than 105mm yet. A friend wants me to shoot their sons pop warner game (unpaid) and I’m happy to do it, but I don’t think I have the best lens set up for it. I’m really set up for portraits and events- 50mm 1.8, 85mm 2.0, 24-105mm 4-7.1. If this was a paid gig I’d obviously rent a 70-200mm 2.8, but I figure I can still get some decent shots and crop/upscale as needed. Anyone shot a football or other field sports game with short telephotos?

It has been about 14 years since I shot football games, and then it was high-school/junior-high. But, I think whether or not which lens would suffice depends on where you are able to stand during the game. If you can have access to the end-zone area, then a shorter lens will definitely work. If you can only stand on the sidelines, or outside the fence, then it will be more difficult. Just make sure that the people in charge are ok with it. Maybe ask one of the refs if it will be a problem...also the coach.

As long as you explain your lens situation to your friend and since you are doing this as a favor, then it really shouldn't matter. Go and have fun. You can always take shots of the kids before and after the game. Sideline shots during the game are also good. It is not all about the gameplay shots.

Have fun.

Last edited:
My current experience with Pop Warner is limited, but, back in the day I shot a lot of it. The 85mm is going to be very limiting, especially when the action is in the center/far side of the field or in front of the bench players, forcing you further back from the action. You do have options, lots of emotions on the side lines, players, parents and cheerleader's that you can capture. Also, ask for permission during pregame and after after warmups to go out on the field to capture pictures. Don't miss the entrance to the field when the players full of energy, the touchdown celebrations etc.
In summary, you can capture a lot of great shots; particular pictures of specific players on the field will be difficult with that short of a lens.

Ideally, a fast lens like the 70-200 f/2.8 would be good lens for football. I used that for HS football, but I often shot at night. Pop Warner plays day games so a f/4.0 would probably do fine. However, I understand that would require laying down a ton of $$$. I guess the best thing to do is try out your 85mm and see how it works out. I would recommend asking to be on the sideline with the players and coaches and move with the folks holding the down markers. That way you will probably get some pretty good shots on your side of the field.

I ended up not being able to make the game. However, I see this as possibly being a sales market for sports photos. I am good at sports photography, being a lifelong athlete I know when big moments are coming and I can catch them. The outlay of money is substantial though. I’m looking at some of the used Sigma and Tamron options. I can find those used (f/2.8) at the same price as a used Canon f/4, both in EF with an adapter. I wish financing an L lens for 10 years at $30 a month was possible 😆.

Edit to add: Or do I get a Canon F/4, deal with the higher ISO in darker environments and process for noise reduction? 🤷🏻‍♂️ aside from the artistic capabilities of the 2.8 I could still get very useable images with good noise reduction on the f/4.

I ended up not being able to make the game. However, I see this as possibly being a sales market for sports photos. I am good at sports photography, being a lifelong athlete I know when big moments are coming and I can catch them. The outlay of money is substantial though. I’m looking at some of the used Sigma and Tamron options. I can find those used (f/2.8) at the same price as a used Canon f/4, both in EF with an adapter. I wish financing an L lens for 10 years at $30 a month was possible 😆.

Edit to add: Or do I get a Canon F/4, deal with the higher ISO in darker environments and process for noise reduction? 🤷🏻‍♂️ aside from the artistic capabilities of the 2.8 I could still get very useable images with good noise reduction on the f/4.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back